Old 26-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Dan Voicu

Default [IBC] Root growing from cuttings

I'm having trouble growing roots from hardwood cuttings. I bought a gel
root stimulator and dipped the cuttings in it and put them in a growing
medium. I kept them moist but they havent grown any roots and the've dried
out and blakened. Should I leave cuttings in the gel for 24 hours and then
put them in dirt?..or what should I do? Also, which root stimulators are
better, the liquid ones or powder ones?

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-07-2004, 09:17 PM
Michael Persiano

I have experience using the gel, but it was not used on root cutting. It was used to jumpstart Korean Hornbeams, which were bare-rooted and shipped to the US.
I would say that 70 percent of the trees made it, but I cannot attribute it solely to the Root2 Gel. It seems to have made a difference, but we did not set up a controlled experiment.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

************************************************* *******************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 26-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

At 02:14 PM 7/26/04 -0400, Dan wrote:
I'm having trouble growing roots from hardwood cuttings. I bought a gel
root stimulator and dipped the cuttings in it and put them in a growing
medium. I kept them moist but they havent grown any roots and the've dried
out and blakened. Should I leave cuttings in the gel for 24 hours and then
put them in dirt?..or what should I do? Also, which root stimulators are
better, the liquid ones or powder ones?

I doubt the problem is the hormone gel, but it is possible. Look at the IBA
content on the label. If it is less then 0.1%, it is pretty much useless.
Most hardwood and semi hardwood cuttings require anywhere from 0.1% to 3%
IBA, it depends on the species.

It is more likely that your setup is not adequate for keeping the cuttings
moist enough. There is a good deal of art as well as science to getting
cuttings to root. Rather than go into all the factors here, let me point
you to an article at my website on the subject. If you have questions about
specific species, you can post again:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/cuttings.htm

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

Old 26-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 7/26/2004 2:48:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I'm having trouble growing roots from hardwood cuttings. I bought a gel
root stimulator and dipped the cuttings in it and put them in a growing
medium. I kept them moist but they haven't grown any roots and the've dried
out and blackened. Should I leave cuttings in the gel for 24 hours and then
put them in dirt?..or what should I do? Also, which root stimulators are
better, the liquid ones or powder ones?

I have never used anything but the powders. I don't always have
success. Some species are VERY (impossible) difficult from cuttings. Others are
very dependent on the type of cutting, time of year and a number of other
variables for success. If you are serious about rooting a particular species
research it on the Internet to determine the best circumstances for rooting cuttings.
Many state colleges of agriculture have web sites with this kind of
information. For a start try
www.ifas.uf.edu

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislik of Whitefish, Montana, Chase Rosade of New Hope,
PA, and Ben Oki of California.

Old 27-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Sorry that web site should be

www.ifas.ufl.edu

Then put in the search box the species you are interested in.

Old 27-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Dan Voicu

Well, the cuttings I'm trying to grow roots on are oak. White oak and
black oak I thing they are. I tried growing maple by root stimulation from
cuttings but with no luck. However the only luck I've had has bin with
willow. The willow cuttings grew roots after about 2 weeks. I don't know
if it was because of the gel or because willows( I've read) are very easy
to propagate. I also read that cuttings should be taken in winter, but can
also be taken in mid summer.

Old 27-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Brent Walston

At 09:12 AM 7/27/04 -0400, you wrote:
Well, the cuttings I'm trying to grow roots on are oak. White oak and
black oak I thing they are. I tried growing maple by root stimulation from
cuttings but with no luck. However the only luck I've had has bin with
willow. The willow cuttings grew roots after about 2 weeks. I don't know
if it was because of the gel or because willows( I've read) are very easy
to propagate. I also read that cuttings should be taken in winter, but can
also be taken in mid summer.

Dan

Oaks are extremely difficult to root from cuttings, better leave those for
experts and grow them from seed (acorns) which is very easy. Some maples
are easy, others difficult, it depends on the species. Semi hardwood
cuttings in summer is the preferred method for most cuttings these days.
This is explained in the Cuttings article that I pointed out to you.
Willows don't need hormone at all. Most maples require a fairly high IBA
content, but again it varies with the species.

Old 27-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Kitsune Miko

I have found that the plants with tighter internodes
seem to be easier to root than others. I can root
kotohime maples with extreme ease, other maples not as
well.

On bottom heat: This is tricky and can sometimes kill
rather than stimulate a plant. I use manure and
sawdust to create heat in the bottom of the rooting
container. This means you have to have a deeper
container than usual because you do not want the new
roots to hit the manure, the cuttings will get
fertilizer burn and die.

I am using recycled styrofoam cold chests with holes
in the bottom, sawdust, manure, sawdust layers, then
my pearlite. The contaners are about 8 to 10 inches
in depth. With this system, I do not allow cuttings
to harden off in the cutting bin, I transplant
earlier.

With this system and a mini green house that gets
misted only twice a day, I have been rooting many more
things this year. The other was containers on hot
concrete with transulecent palastic lids, sort of a
mini terrarum effect. This needed more tending and
hand watering than I had time to do, but I had quicker
rooting becasue of the heat.

More maintenace but no inflated electric bill.

Kitsune Miko

--- Brent Walston wrote:
At 09:12 AM 7/27/04 -0400, you wrote:
Oaks are extremely difficult to root from cuttings,

better leave those for
experts and grow them from seed (acorns) which is
very easy. Some maples
are easy, others difficult, it depends on the
species. Semi hardwood
cuttings in summer is the preferred method for most
cuttings these days.
This is explained in the Cuttings article that I
pointed out to you.
Willows don't need hormone at all. Most maples
require a fairly high IBA
content, but again it varies with the species.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris
Cochrane++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott