Old 02-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] oiling mica pots

I tried something on a mica pot a few days ago, thinking of getting
trees ready for the wedding (horrors--one or two will be in mica
pots!). I sanded the pot with 150 grit sandpaper, then 300, making sure
to sand with the length of the pot in mind so there wouldn't be any
wayward scratches. I didn't really bear down, just sanded enough to
even out the surface. I then tried rubbing on mineral oil, which I use
on unglazed ceramic pots for displays. The mineral oil evaporated
fairly quickly, so I tried vegetable oil instead. Works great. The
sanding evens out the marks from the molds and gives the pot more of a
matte surface as opposed to one that is rather glossy. The oiling gives
it a nice low lustre. Has anyone else tried this?

Craig Cowing

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Jim Lewis

Lynn Boyd wrote:

Craig -
Yes - I have tried it - and it does improve the look,

very temporarily,
then collects dust and looks worse than before oiling.

Spraying it with
water won't wash off the dust. Have you tried shoe polish?
Lynn
Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

Interesting thought. This isn't long term--just for display.

I haven't tried shoe polish. I don't polish my shoes so I

don't have any
around.

I can do you better than that. I don't have any shoes (just
sandals) -- but I will have some by mid October, Craig.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Craig Cowing

Old 02-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

Lynn Boyd wrote:

Craig -
Yes - I have tried it - and it does improve the look,

very temporarily,
then collects dust and looks worse than before oiling.

Spraying it with
water won't wash off the dust. Have you tried shoe polish?
Lynn
Lynn Boyd, Oregon, USA

Interesting thought. This isn't long term--just for display.

I haven't tried shoe polish. I don't polish my shoes so I

don't have any
around.

I can do you better than that. I don't have any shoes (just
sandals) -- but I will have some by mid October, Craig.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Actually, you might be better off not wearing shoes. That way security at the
airport won't need to have you take them off! ;0)

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 02-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

My trees sit under 2 smallish live oaks and the forest around the
house if filled with laurel, willow and water oaks. And
squirrels.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Jim Lewis

Old 03-08-2004, 02:53 AM
dalecochoy

Sounds like a good idea, but most of my mica pots have squirrel
tooth on their rims by the end of their first year of use. It
would take more than a "light" sanding to get rid of them.

Jim Lewis

Ditto here Jim, that is one of the problems with using mica "training

pots"
as a less expensive alternate to good ceramic, but it's a lost savings

when
the squirrels ruin the pots!! You'd think with 3 dogs and 3 cats I'd

NEVER
see a squirrel !!!!

I guess you guys just don't live right. ;0] If you had oak trees near

you the
squirrels would have no interest in your mica pots.

Craig Cowing

Man, that's not true, I have huge oak trees on my property and all property
around me!!
Dale