Old 27-01-2004, 01:33 PM
alicia-dr-hankins

Default [IBC] censoring subjects...was- [IBC] Mica Pots

wonder if we could say this about
all subjects brought up here...
after all we have seen many discussions
of just about everything to do with bonsai...
so if we adopt this philosophy
we all may be quiet soon eh?
*standard answer...we did it already...
search the archives...

after all... i am sure that we all change
our minds after some experiences that
prove our past disclaimer wrong for whatever
reasons...
i'd sure hate to think that people can't bring
up a subject just because it's been done
already...

boo,
alicia
displaced to zone 9, LA
waiting to get back to Hawaii...
Old 27-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Jim Lewis

wonder if we could say this about
all subjects brought up here...
after all we have seen many discussions
of just about everything to do with bonsai...
so if we adopt this philosophy
we all may be quiet soon eh?
*standard answer...we did it already...
search the archives...

after all... i am sure that we all change
our minds after some experiences that
prove our past disclaimer wrong for whatever
reasons...
i'd sure hate to think that people can't bring
up a subject just because it's been done
already...

boo,

Speaking as the ex-manager here, I have often wondered why people
so readily assume a message that is intended to help people find
the info they need is seen as something negative -- and even cry
"censorship." I guess it's because people tend to look on the
dark side of everything these days. :=(

I don't think I was the one who made that suggestion this time
(though I often do) but we frequently suggest that people check
the archives because we know -- from having been here a while --
the answer they seek is there. In fact, the welcome message that
people receive when they subscribe to the mailing list actually
suggests that people look there FIRST! (Of course, how silly of
me . . . no one ever bothers to read -- or even save -- that
message these days -- they're in too much of a hurry, hurry,
hurry.) We also make the suggestion because -- for the same
reason -- we know the question is (as is the case here) one for
which there is no true single answer.

So, for this as for many other claims of censorship, I add my old
familiar suggestion that you PLEASE:

"Hit
THINK before you hit SEND."

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager emeritus (self appointed)

Old 27-01-2004, 02:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Mica Pots

Thank you for mentioning cracked bonsai pots in the #5 slot. I
have a few
of them. To patch them, I use Bondo
(the auto repair product), which makes good contact and is

water-proof.

I have recently discovered "Gorilla Glue" and have successfully
used it to mend broken branches (even a trunk snapped by a
falling branch) as well as pots. NOTHING is stronger. ;-)

Marty
P.S. I'm going to Florida next month. Any suggestions for a

quiet spot
where we can get away from the maddening throng?

Do you want to be warm? Or, just warm-er?

If the former, it will be tough this time of year, but Sanibel or
Captiva on the southern west coast may do it. Everglades city
would be quieter, but you need to like doing absolutely nothing.
Stay away from the southeast coast and the keys (AND Orlando - we
were there last week and you do NOT want to do it!).

If the latter, the beaches of the Florida panhandle (Panama City,
Destin, Ft. Walton Beach, Pensacola) are beautiful, empty and
cheap at this time of year. But they are chilly. I suspect that
chilly is a relative thing, though; daytime temps will range from
50 to 75 over the course of a week as you northerners send us
waves of cold air which we have to push back with Gulf-of-Mexico
balminess.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 27-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Craig Cowing

Marty Haber wrote:

Thank you for mentioning cracked bonsai pots in the #5 slot. I have a few
of them. To patch them, I use Bondo
(the auto repair product), which makes good contact and is water-proof.
Marty

I've got a few of those too. Bondo works great. I repaired one pot that I got for
free because it had broken into a few pieces and one was missing. I filled the
hole for the missing piece with bondo, painted the side of the pot with a rusty
metal primer, and it looks great!

P.S. I'm going to Florida next month. Any suggestions for a quiet spot
where we can get away from the maddening throng?
Marty

You're going *to* the maddening throng, Marty. Beware!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 27-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Hello and Good Day to All,
General Response,

Snooty? Where do these ideas pop up from?

The idea behind stoneware to earthenware is use the
material is being put to.
Fine Earthenware,makes an excellent Bonsai pot,and
today there are earthenware bodies at low temperatures
that are low in water absorption.I know because I make
them.

However freeze and thaw action makes properly matured
stoneware the better body,and I have to yet test a vitreous
low fired body in winter.Until then???

But a mica pot is too even in appearance and though it
could be upgraded to excellent designs,the somewhat plastic
sort of a firestone tire look would work against the harmony
of tree and container.

I am also sure there are trees that break the above rule,but
what really worries me is the type of eye/taste that someone,
who can see no difference between a clay container and a
composite body such as mica,is developing.

The biggest problem with Cubic Zirconia,masquerading as
diamonds,garnets,sapphires,emeralds....,is it's appalling
purity,too clean,too bright,too pure...
Same problem with lab grown gems.
Or Rutile as gems where the refractive qualities are higher
than a diamonds.

The eye delights in constant variation,and nature provides
this.
It is the chief reason plastic is so unappealing.

However there will come a day when this will be resolved
and then watch out.

To produce a beautiful pot is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration
and at times 100% blessing of the Kiln Gods in the firing.

Ever wonder how many acres of forests fell to produce that
simple to die for beauty of a translucent tea bowl or wine cup of x
dynasty.All those thousands of wasters and today we stack
the unfired bodies in alumina hydrate and produce them by
the thousands--- yet,they don't quite affect the on looker in the
same way.

Try making your own pot and then mould a fibreglass pot,see
which one leaves you feeling a sense of achievement.
There is much one misses if you don't get your hands dirty.
Much like helping a seed/cutting/found tree/insert your own ideas,
to maturity.
Stay Well All.
Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]

From: "Mark Hill"
Hi all...
Here's a question to prolong this thread ..... Why are mica pots not
preferred show containers?

snip
Is it simply because ceramic pots cost much more, therefore they must be
better ?
Sounds a bit snooty to me !!
Mark Hill

-------------------------------

I'll bite. Yes, it's snooty - for the same reason that diamonds are

coveted
over cubic zirconia, though from most views, the CZ looks beautiful and
dazzling. The reason is twofold (at least):

1) This is an art. The art of bonsai display is one that touts quality

and,
in many cases, is concerned with ties to the artistry of long ago (antique
chinese pots for high quality bonsai in an exhibit) or of today (great
modern potters). Also, the subtle aesthetic quality that an excellent
bonsai pot can convey as part of a bonsai display is prized for obvious
reasons.

2) We're human. When dealing with artistry - an admittedly snooty endeavor
(and define "snooty" at your peril) - the specific quality of the elements
involved has an impact on the viewer (from small to enormous) AND the
exhibitor. Humans generally enjoy exhibiting and viewing rare quality and
great craftsmanship more than we enjoy exhibiting and viewing "plastic"
make-do elements. Often, what we know about an objet d'art impacts our
enjoyment.

So sure, recognize that bonsai artistry has snooty elements. Every art

does
and for simple reasons. However, thinking that to be a negative is just
silly, and deriding bonsai for its elements of snootiness does the art and
enthusiasts no good. It's just part of this endeavor. Care about it or
not, but criticize it makes us look silly.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
www.andyrutledge.com/palaver/main.htm
zone 8, Texas

Old 27-01-2004, 03:10 PM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Good Morning to All,
Just in case,

I sent a private note yesterday to Ireneu,suggesting
that she test a few natives of her area in mica pots.Best
way to answer this type of question.

There maybe a difference between my stands on my
lawn[ though they were first on asphalt and growth was
a slower better situation,but my skin couldn't take any
more exposure to the sun,no shade on the asphalt,so
I chickened out.] and her place.

And as usual we don't have Heat Waves-thumbing my
nose at you all - teasing - chuckle.
Laughingly Khaimraj
[West Indies/Caribbean]

Old 27-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Just as an example, because we have discussed mica pots so often I just deleted the whole thread. The advantage of people going to the archive first is that it keeps the volume on the list down low enough that old-timers like me will read the posts and an
swer the questions instead of saying "seen that, been there, answered that 300 times".

Squirrels? Fahgeddaboutit.

-Nina

Old 27-01-2004, 08:42 PM
alicia-dr-hankins

oh...no no
not because it was suggested that someone read
the archives...or due to a 'dark side' view...heavens no...
it was prompted more because the guy that
asked the question came back and felt he had
to apologize for bringing up the subject...
after 'being reminded' that it was 'already done'...

i look in the archives...
must be why i am usually quiet
hahahah

smiles,