Old 24-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Cotoneaster flowering

I will be grateful if any one can explain how to induce flowering in Cotoneaster sp. None of the plants which we acquired 5 years ago have flowered so far. I live in Chandigarh (INDIA) 31degree N.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Michael Persiano

Anil:

Regional growth habits are the key to answering this question: In the US, if q tree flowers before mid summer (July), it should be pruned immediately to ensure the development of new flower buds. If q tree flowers after mid summer, the tree should be pruned in late winter or early spring.

Also, if you are using a high-nitrogen fertilizer, you will be pushing foliar rather than floral bud growth. In the early design years, this is desirable. As you achieve your design objectives, back off on the aggressive feeding to promote floral bud development.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Jim Lewis

On 24 Aug 2004 at 12:07, Anil Kaushik wrote:

I will be grateful if any one can explain how to induce flowering in Cotoneaster sp. None of the plants which we acquired 5 years ago have flowered so far. I live in Chandigarh (INDIA) 31degree N.

I can't find any info on when cotoneaster start making their
buds (they will NOT grow down here), but they are mid-spring
bloomers, so it may be in late summer or fall. If so, hold off
on pruning in the last quarter of the year.

Also, cotoneaster prefer alkaline (high pH) soils, so use
fertilizers with little nitrogen -- NO nitrogen later in the
year and through early spring.

They also don't want wet feet, so only water when the soil gets
dry.

They're more likely to bloom when you give them exactly what
they like. ;-)

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.