Old 25-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Cotoneaster Flowering

Thankyou Jim, Marty and Michael for the information. I think there is substance in what Jim wrote. I was of the opinion that all flowering plants need acidic medium and some iron also. So we were using a compost rich in humus and manure. Watering was also liberal. But interestingly its cousin Pyracantha angustifola with the same treatment blooms profusely in the early spring, followed by green berries, which turn orange and then red in winters.

As for Marty's observation, the climatic condition in this part of North-West India are extremely variable. The maximum temperature during summers (May-June) goes more than 40 degrees C, whereas in winters the minimum hovers around 7 degrees sometimes drooping to 2-3 C. July and August is rainy season with occasional cloudbursts and torrential rains.
And Michael, we have not done any pruning so far, so that the girth of the trunk is increased.

Anil

Bonsai Club (India)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --