Old 24-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Michael Persiano

Anil:

Regional growth habits are the key to answering this question: In the US, if q tree flowers before mid summer (July), it should be pruned immediately to ensure the development of new flower buds. If q tree flowers after mid summer, the tree should be pruned in late winter or early spring.

Also, if you are using a high-nitrogen fertilizer, you will be pushing foliar rather than floral bud growth. In the early design years, this is desirable. As you achieve your design objectives, back off on the aggressive feeding to promote floral bud development.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Cotoneaster Flowering

Thankyou Jim, Marty and Michael for the information. I think there is substance in what Jim wrote. I was of the opinion that all flowering plants need acidic medium and some iron also. So we were using a compost rich in humus and manure. Watering was also liberal. But interestingly its cousin Pyracantha angustifola with the same treatment blooms profusely in the early spring, followed by green berries, which turn orange and then red in winters.

As for Marty's observation, the climatic condition in this part of North-West India are extremely variable. The maximum temperature during summers (May-June) goes more than 40 degrees C, whereas in winters the minimum hovers around 7 degrees sometimes drooping to 2-3 C. July and August is rainy season with occasional cloudbursts and torrential rains.
And Michael, we have not done any pruning so far, so that the girth of the trunk is increased.

Anil

Bonsai Club (India)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 25-08-2004, 11:27 AM
kevin bailey

Sorry, I've missed out on this thread. Your climate sounds fine to me.
What species of Cotoneaster are you talking of? I see several species
growing wild on limestone hillsides here and flowering profusely.

They are remarkably easy from cuttings, so I'd try a couple in a mix
with some limestone added.

The garden varieties prosper in poor soils too, so I think that you are
giving them growing conditions that promote too much luxuriant growth.

Good luck

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
********
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 25-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Anil Kaushik

Sorry Kevin! I do not now the exact species, however it seems almost
confirmed that it should be grown in a compost which is alkaline, it should
not be overwatered and fertilizer should be 0-10-10.

Thanks to all for giving fruitful information.

Anil

Bonsai Club (India)

Old 25-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Alan Walker

Also check out Cotoneaster at the BCI Species Guide at:
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/cotoneaster.html

Alan Walker

Old 25-08-2004, 10:49 PM
Alan Walker

Old 26-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Anil Kaushik

Thanks Alan I all the sites and found useful information.

Anil

Old 26-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Anil Kaushik