Old 18-08-2005, 12:32 AM
Rick

Default Oak tree nodules

Anyone seen this before? My neighbors tree has these odd, hard nodules
forming on most of the leaves of his oak tree. A Google search came up bare,
but I'm not sure what to search for anyway. It seems to drop bunches of
leaves all summer, still connected to twigs. Otherwise looks healthy.
http://www.rauth.com/pix/oakleaves.jpg
Thanks,
Rick

Old 18-08-2005, 12:44 AM
John McGaw

Rick wrote:
Anyone seen this before? My neighbors tree has these odd, hard nodules
forming on most of the leaves of his oak tree. A Google search came up bare,
but I'm not sure what to search for anyway. It seems to drop bunches of
leaves all summer, still connected to twigs. Otherwise looks healthy.
http://www.rauth.com/pix/oakleaves.jpg
Thanks,
Rick

Gall seems to be the proper term. There are several different causes but
many are from insects injecting their eggs between the layers of the
leaf which then develop there causing the odd growth. I'd try slicing
some open with a super sharp blade and then inspecting the innards with
a magnifying lens. If you seen little grubs then you have a good idea
what is going on. A Google for "oak leaf gall" (without the quotes of
course) will give you page after page of reading material that may pertain.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 18-08-2005, 03:53 AM
David Ross

Rick wrote:

Anyone seen this before? My neighbors tree has these odd, hard nodules
forming on most of the leaves of his oak tree. A Google search came up bare,
but I'm not sure what to search for anyway. It seems to drop bunches of
leaves all summer, still connected to twigs. Otherwise looks healthy.
http://www.rauth.com/pix/oakleaves.jpg
Thanks,
Rick

Large, round growths are oak galls, caused by the larva of a tiny
wasp. It irritates the leaf tissues, causing the gall to form.
Inside, it's somewhat corky. Older galls show small holes through
which the mature wasp exits. These are generally harmless to the
tree. In colonial times, settlers would gather the galls and boil
them to extract the tannic acid, which they would then use to tan
leather, set dyes in yarn, and make ink.

It's quite common for an oak tree to shed leaves in bunches, still
attached to twigs. However, if the tree is being defoliated, then
there is likely some insect causing damage. Such damage two or
three years in a row can severely injure or even kill the tree.
Since a mature oak can be quite valuable, it's worth the price to
have a professional treat the tree to stop such insects.

--

David E. Ross
URL:http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See URL:http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 18-08-2005, 01:57 PM
SVTKate

OT here Rick, I'd REALLY like to know more about that tile behind the oak
branch.
Sure is pretty and I am getting ready to do my kitchen.

Kate

"Rick" wrote in message
: Anyone seen this before? My neighbors tree has these odd, hard nodules
: forming on most of the leaves of his oak tree. A Google search came up
bare,
: but I'm not sure what to search for anyway. It seems to drop bunches of
: leaves all summer, still connected to twigs. Otherwise looks healthy.
: http://www.rauth.com/pix/oakleaves.jpg
: Thanks,
: Rick
:
:

Old 19-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Rick

Nothing special about that tile. Self stick, probably got it at Home Depot.
It replaces some lame mousepad type thing that came with the rolltop desk.
--
Rick

nk.net...

Old 20-08-2005, 02:30 AM
SVTKate

"Lynn" wrote in message
:
: LOL leave it to you to notice tile. it is pretty tho
: --
: Lynn
:

Don't you ever look at what's in the background?
Like in movies, I love to look at what is in the backgrounds. People,
stuff.. I find it infinitely enlightening.

I have this friend that sends me pictures of her garden. I ALWAYS look at
what is in the background .....
I get some hella cool ideas for things like tomato cages and garden layout.

*snikker*

Old 20-08-2005, 02:31 AM
SVTKate

*jaw dropping and hitting the deaktop*
THUNK

I thought it was a creamic or stone tile.
*sigh*

now I have to go kick the cat.

thanks Rick

Kate

"Rick" wrote in message
: Nothing special about that tile. Self stick, probably got it at Home
Depot.
: It replaces some lame mousepad type thing that came with the rolltop desk.
: --
: Rick
:
: "SVTKate" wrote in message
: nk.net...
: OT here Rick, I'd REALLY like to know more about that tile behind the oak
: branch.
: Sure is pretty and I am getting ready to do my kitchen.
:
: Kate
:
:
: "Rick" wrote in message
: ...
:: Anyone seen this before? My neighbors tree has these odd, hard nodules
:: forming on most of the leaves of his oak tree. A Google search came up
: bare,
:: but I'm not sure what to search for anyway. It seems to drop bunches of
:: leaves all summer, still connected to twigs. Otherwise looks healthy.
:: http://www.rauth.com/pix/oakleaves.jpg
:: Thanks,
:: Rick
::
::
:
:
:

Old 20-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Travis

SVTKate wrote:
"Lynn" wrote in message

LOL leave it to you to notice tile. it is pretty tho
--
Lynn

Don't you ever look at what's in the background?
Like in movies, I love to look at what is in the backgrounds.
People, stuff.. I find it infinitely enlightening.

I have this friend that sends me pictures of her garden. I ALWAYS
look at what is in the background .....
I get some hella cool ideas for things like tomato cages and garden
layout.

*snikker*

What does "hella" mean?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 20-08-2005, 08:19 PM
SVTKate

hella is like hekka
like WAY COOL

only more so

"Travis" wrote in message
: SVTKate wrote:
: "Lynn" wrote in message
: ...
:
: LOL leave it to you to notice tile. it is pretty tho
: --
: Lynn
:
:
: Don't you ever look at what's in the background?
: Like in movies, I love to look at what is in the backgrounds.
: People, stuff.. I find it infinitely enlightening.
:
: I have this friend that sends me pictures of her garden. I ALWAYS
: look at what is in the background .....
: I get some hella cool ideas for things like tomato cages and garden
: layout.
:
: *snikker*
:
: What does "hella" mean?
:
: --
:
: Travis in Shoreline (just North of Seattle) Washington
: USDA Zone 8
: Sunset Zone 5

Old 21-08-2005, 04:17 PM
SVTKate

Hey, you are what you plant LOL

"Lynn" wrote in message
: and long grass and chicken coop? thanks for the warning
:
: --
: Lynn
:
: "SVTKate" wrote in message
: nk.net...
:
: I have this friend that sends me pictures of her garden. I ALWAYS look
at
: what is in the background .....
: I get some hella cool ideas for things like tomato cages and garden
: layout.
:
: *snikker*
:
:
:
:
:
:

[IMG] code is On

Ophiopogon root nodules Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 6 21-04-2016 07:01 PM
Nodules on bay tree Mozie Gardening 2 29-12-2005 10:25 AM
[IBC] Root Nodules and Neea buxifolia Anil Kaushik Bonsai 4 14-09-2004 01:55 PM
[IBC] Root Nodules Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 6 10-09-2004 11:10 PM
[IBC] Root Nodules Anil Kaushik Bonsai 1 10-09-2004 11:18 AM