Old 07-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Lurker

On 7 Sep 2004 07:42:10 -0700, Craig Cowing wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:

Hope everyone came through as well as I did.

Frances weakened as it crawled across central Florida and into
the Gulf -- where it wasn't over open water long enough to
strengthen. It was a tropical storm when it hit land again --
well to the east of where originally predicted.

snip

A few small trees down across the drive; power out for 12 hours,
a few trees/limbs across the pasture fence and that's it.

LUCKY.

I do hope you folks in east central Florida made it through OK,
though. It was a LOT rougher down there from all reports.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

I realize there are a lot of things that attract people to such an area,
but for
me, I'll take blizzards and sub-zero temperatures over this in a
heartbeat.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

On the Texas Gulf coast, I've kinda gotten used to it, but my wife starts
freaking after every storm starts up and stays that way until it has gone
ashore. Why _she_ stays here I don't know.

Jim, I'm glad to hear you didn't get too much damage, you were lucky.
And the storm moved through.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] Frances aftermath - N. Fla.

That's great news, Jim. I'm glad to see your power is
back up already. ;-)

Alan Walker

Hope everyone came through as well as I did.

Frances weakened as it crawled across central Florida and into
the Gulf -- where it wasn't over open water long enough to
strengthen. It was a tropical storm when it hit land again --
well to the east of where originally predicted.

That put us on the west side of the storm -- which is the weak
side. Aside from one 60+ mph gust (the very first one of the
storm on Sunday) that snapped the top of a 50-foot willow oak
and left it hanging over my bedroom (need to do something about
that ;-) we came through with flying colors and NO flying
bonsai.

My little trees were inside on my front screened porch. The
bigger ones were right beside the house and the medium ones were
under my tables. Even the potensai table -- which was (as
always) on its own with no special care given to it -- came
through unscathed.

A few small trees down across the drive; power out for 12 hours,
a few trees/limbs across the pasture fence and that's it.
LUCKY.
I do hope you folks in east central Florida made it through OK,
though. It was a LOT rougher down there from all reports.
Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-09-2004, 01:04 PM
Jim Lewis

On 7 Sep 2004 at 10:23, Lurker wrote:

On the Texas Gulf coast, I've kinda gotten used to it, but my wife starts
freaking after every storm starts up and stays that way until it has gone
ashore. Why _she_ stays here I don't know.

Jim, I'm glad to hear you didn't get too much damage, you were lucky.
And the storm moved through.

And Ivan seems to be on its way -- following almost the same,
exact path.

I tend to be on your wife's side, here. I moved to Florida
almost 40 years ago, now, because of a good job, and we put down
roots.

BUT . . . if our kids didn't live in the east (South Florida and
Central North Carolina) we'd be off back to Arizona or maybe New
Mexico like a SHOT. They don't have the hurricanes, and I don't
mind heat.

The chances of a volcanic eruption (their greatest disaster
potential) are a lot smaller than the chances of Tallahassee
getting hit by one, two or three hurricanes.