Old 15-09-2004, 12:30 AM
Anthony Toft

Default New to bonsai

I had posted a message on the IBC site and then read that this was the
place to be

Here is the message, I would appreciate any and all responses, I'd really
like to take up the art as something to do when I find some spare time

Newbie here, so please forgive my lack of education, but...

Yesterday we bought a bonsai tree from costco here in Orlando, after
reading about it (I was trying to find out how to make cuttings for my
office) it would appear that we got a "Mallsai" complete with stuck on
stones.

Having discovered this I have axed the 'trees in the office' plan (at
least with this Juniper) and would instead like to make little trees for
outside the house we move into within the next couple of months (I figure
bonsai is less likely to cause damage during a hurricane ). In the mean
time I need to keep it alive, can I just put it outside in the existing
pot? Should I look into making cuttings at this time? If so can I put them
in regular plant pots for the time being? My mother-in-law is a ceramics
instructor so I will (hopefully) have a fairly ready supply of pots when I
go visit her.

Also in furtherence to the 'office trees' project, I think a weeping fig
would survive, does anyone know where in central florida I could get one
at a reasonable price?

Thanks

Anthony
Old 15-09-2004, 01:27 AM
Kitsune Miko

Well, you can "save" the juniper by soaking the whole
plant until the rocky part gets a little soft (they
use Elmer's Glue or equivalent) Then carefully peel
off the rocks. Be ready to replace the rocks with a
bit of sand or soil.

To get proper cuttings off a bonsai, you have to let
it grow out so that it is not a good bonsai. I don't
think you should prune yours at all until it is
stable.

Kitsune Miko
--- Anthony Toft wrote:

[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Evergreen
Gardenworks++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 15-09-2004, 01:50 AM
Jim Lewis

On 14 Sep 2004 at 19:30, Anthony Toft wrote:

I had posted a message on the IBC site and then read that this was the
place to be

Yes. And it has been for years. ;-)

Here is the message, I would appreciate any and all responses, I'd really
like to take up the art as something to do when I find some spare time

Alas, bonsai isn't a really good "spare time" hobby like
collecting stamps or matchbook covers. Bonsai need daily care
of one kind or another and at certain times of year need
intensive care (not in the medical sense, but in the amount-of-
labor-required sense).

Newbie here, so please forgive my lack of education, but...

Yesterday we bought a bonsai tree from costco here in Orlando, after
reading about it (I was trying to find out how to make cuttings for my
office) it would appear that we got a "Mallsai" complete with stuck on
stones.

Those have to go. Dig (or soak, as Kitsune says) them off and
fill in the resulting void with a decent potting soil -- NOT
that black, powdery stuff that places like Wal-Mart and Home
Depot sell. Get the stuff that nurseries use for the plants
_they_ pot up.

Having discovered this I have axed the 'trees in the office' plan (at
least with this Juniper) and would instead like to make little trees for
outside the house we move into within the next couple of months (I figure
bonsai is less likely to cause damage during a hurricane ).

I dunno. A bonsai flying off a garden table at 120mph could be
deadly. ;-)

In the mean
time I need to keep it alive, can I just put it outside in the existing
pot?

Yes. After the glued-on stones are gone. Water when the soil
feels DRY. Fertilize every 2 weeks - or so.

Should I look into making cuttings at this time? If so can I

put them in regular plant pots for the time being? My mother-in-
law is a ceramics instructor so I will (hopefully) have a fairly
ready supply of pots when I go visit her.

No. Wait on cuttings. There's a 75% chance that your tree is
already dead (that's the approximate DOA ratio of Mallsai),
despite green needles.

Also in furtherence to the 'office trees' project, I think a weeping fig
would survive, does anyone know where in central florida I could get one
at a reasonable price?

Almost any place that sells houseplants will have these.
Jupiter Bonsai (in Jupiter) also would have them. There's an
Orlando Bonsai club (check out www.bonsai-bsf.com). I bet every
club raffle offers at least one Ficus bonsai.

Buy the Sunset book entitled "Bonsai."

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Old 16-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Anthony Toft

Alas, bonsai isn't a really good "spare time" hobby like collecting
stamps or matchbook covers. Bonsai need daily care

Compared to my other hobbies, it would be less time intensive. Electronics
is a days on end type of thing.

Those have to go. Dig (or soak, as Kitsune says) them off and fill in
the resulting void with a decent potting soil -- NOT that black, powdery
stuff that places like Wal-Mart and Home Depot sell. Get the stuff that
nurseries use for the plants _they_ pot up.

They will be going this weekend...

I dunno. A bonsai flying off a garden table at 120mph could be deadly.
;-)

Yes, but it would be nice if the tree in my living room is there because I
put it there, not because it blew down, Charlie and Frances crossed very
near here, big tree I don't want

BTW I hope that Ivan is sparing you the worst, I see from your .sig that
you're in Talahassee

Yes. After the glued-on stones are gone. Water when the soil feels
DRY. Fertilize every 2 weeks - or so.

I will give it a shot, everything I have read says miraclegro is the stuff
to use.

No. Wait on cuttings. There's a 75% chance that your tree is already
dead (that's the approximate DOA ratio of Mallsai), despite green
needles.

Okie Dokie, a friend of mine is going to get me a bunch of norfolk pine
cuttings this weekend from a big tree he has, I will try with them. I am
using this type on recommmendation of the office 'plant lady'

Almost any place that sells houseplants will have these. Jupiter Bonsai
(in Jupiter) also would have them. There's an

I will check lowes and home depot, there is also a nursery down the road
from us that I will check

Buy the Sunset book entitled "Bonsai."

Will do

--
Anthony Toft

My name is Anton and I approve this message
Old 16-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Craig Cowing

Anthony Toft wrote:

Alas, bonsai isn't a really good "spare time" hobby like collecting
stamps or matchbook covers. Bonsai need daily care

Compared to my other hobbies, it would be less time intensive. Electronics
is a days on end type of thing.

In the spring, that's what bonsai is for me. I usually take a week off to go
collecting, repot, etc.

I dunno. A bonsai flying off a garden table at 120mph could be deadly.
;-)

Yes, but it would be nice if the tree in my living room is there because I
put it there, not because it blew down, Charlie and Frances crossed very
near here, big tree I don't want

Just for temporary. Make sure it's a species that will live indoors if it's going
to be indoors. A juniper will not make it indoors.

snip

I will give it a shot, everything I have read says miraclegro is the stuff
to use.

I alternate Miracle Gro (15-30-15) with Peters (20-20-20).

No. Wait on cuttings. There's a 75% chance that your tree is already
dead (that's the approximate DOA ratio of Mallsai), despite green
needles.

Okie Dokie, a friend of mine is going to get me a bunch of norfolk pine
cuttings this weekend from a big tree he has, I will try with them. I am
using this type on recommmendation of the office 'plant lady'
snip

Not good for bonsai. As someone else notes, it doesn't branch and wants to grow
straight up. It makes a great indoor tree, but that's about it. Try ficus.

--
Anthony Toft

My name is Anton and I approve this message

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 16-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Anthony Toft

Just for temporary. Make sure it's a species that will live indoors if
it's going to be indoors. A juniper will not make it indoors.

yes, sorry I was ambiguous, I meant that I had put them there for the
duration of the storm.

Not good for bonsai. As someone else notes, it doesn't branch and
wants to grow straight up. It makes a great indoor tree, but that's
about it. Try ficus.

Thanks for the tip, I will hold off on the pine.