Old 15-09-2004, 02:09 PM

Default [IBC] Happy New Year

My New Year Greeting:
Just like the tree in the hands of the bonsai artist:
By his will he lets a branch grow long
Or by his will he cuts it short,
So are we in your hands, O Lord.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-09-2004, 04:39 PM
Luke Tulkas

wrote in message ...
My New Year Greeting:
Just like the tree in the hands of the bonsai artist:
By his will he lets a branch grow long
Or by his will he cuts it short,
So are we in your hands, O Lord.

Yeah! And Merry Christmas, too.

Old 16-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Willem Carstens

Hi Luke

I dont think Iris was trying to be funny.It is the Jewish New Year at the
moment and i
that was what she was referring to.So a Merry Christmas was probaly not the
best wishes in this case

Regards
Willem Carstens

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Luke Tulkas

"Willem Carstens" wrote in message

I dont think Iris was trying to be funny.

Me neither.

Old 16-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Kitsune Miko

Off line, Iris and I were musing about the variety of
new years celbration dates. She reminded me that they
go from September through the beginning of February.
Many of these celebrations are tied into agricultural
events, harvest, budding, dormancy, etc.

So what do you think would be an appropriate bonsai
new years date?

Kitsune Miko

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Marty Haber

Each temperature zone should have its own New Year. In the northern
hemisphere, it would vary from February 1 to June 1; below the Equator,
August 1 to December 1.
The exact date could vary too, depnding upon when the earliest buds begin to
swell. This way, New Years would occur almost every day of the year in some
part of the world. Wouldn't it be great to celebrate New Years every day?
We can , you know, because each new day is a precious, unique gift given to
all mankind. At least, I think so.
Marty
Off line, Iris and I were musing about the variety of
new years celbration dates. She reminded me that they
go from September through the beginning of February.
Many of these celebrations are tied into agricultural
events, harvest, budding, dormancy, etc.

So what do you think would be an appropriate bonsai
new years date?

Kitsune Miko

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Alan Walker

Well, there's Arbor Day! ;-)
But the date of appearance of the first leaves popping
from their buds would seem to be a logical date to me.
Obviously, this would be a different day for every locale, but we
don't need any more "official" holidays anyway.

Alan Walker

Old 16-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Jim Lewis

On 16 Sep 2004 at 16:04, Alan Walker wrote:

Well, there's Arbor Day! ;-)

I guess this is an indication that you made it through Ivan OK,
Alan?

It squeezed right in between us. I lost one (big) tree. No
bonsai.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

Old 16-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Kitsune Miko wrote:

Off line, Iris and I were musing about the variety of
new years celbration dates. She reminded me that they
go from September through the beginning of February.
Many of these celebrations are tied into agricultural
events, harvest, budding, dormancy, etc.

So what do you think would be an appropriate bonsai
new years date?

Kitsune Miko

In colonial New England the beginning of the year was March 25, basically the
beginning of spring. That's why when you see dates before 1752 falling between
January 1 and March 24 (inclusive) you'll see them written as January 25, 1745/6
(meaning 1746). Being a native New Englander, I'd go with that date.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-09-2004, 04:57 AM
Alan Walker

Jim: SW Louisiana was totally untouched by the storm. We had
lots of refugees filling up the hotels and the Civic Center,
though. We could use the rain, but I'll take it the old fashioned
way! ;-)

Alan Walker

Old 18-09-2004, 05:13 AM
Wayne Greenleaf

We evacuated New Orleans which is why Alan's peace was disturbed. Left
Tuesday and returned Thursday. We had no rain and very little wind. Had to
pick up twigs and old limbs (nothing big). Had put all of my trees and
benches down, for just is case. Seeing the pictures of what happened to
Gulf Shores, we did right.
I have a growing area that is without watering system. Lost about 15 trees
being grown as material. None of my semi-bonsai were harmed in any way.
Many things to be grateful for.

Nature
Jim, my favorite version is be Robert Heinlein -- Natural laws have no pity.

Wayne Greenleaf - New Orleans Z9