Old 20-09-2004, 12:09 AM
AJCarroll1019

Default air layering

Hello.I've tried airlayering many times in the past with very little (almost
none) success. But recently i picked up an old houseplant book and i saw
another method of airlayering in which the author cut a slit upwards into the
tree (about halfway into the trunk) as opposed to removing part of the bark. He
then slid a toothpick in to hold the cut open. Has anyone tried this method and
is it anymore efective.
thanks,
Aaron
Old 20-09-2004, 02:28 AM
Jim Lewis

On 19 Sep 2004 at 23:09, AJCarroll1019 wrote:

Hello.I've tried airlayering many times in the past with very little (almost
none) success. But recently i picked up an old houseplant book and i saw
another method of airlayering in which the author cut a slit upwards into the
tree (about halfway into the trunk) as opposed to removing part of the bark. He
then slid a toothpick in to hold the cut open. Has anyone tried this method and
is it anymore efective.
thanks,

This method works OK with houseplants (with a less woody trunk)
but not so well with hardwood trees. It also does not produce a
balanced ring of roots around the new base, which makes it not
suitable for bonsai.

You probably didn't keep the sphagnum damp enough in your
earlier tries. Air layering is actually one of the easier means
of vegetative propagation.

Start them in the early spring and on most temperate hardwood
trees you should be able to separate them by mid summer.

There's a good article on air layering on our website:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ar....php?viewid=21

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Jim Lewis

On 20 Sep 2004 at 15:11, LouF wrote:

On 19 Sep 2004 23:09:54 GMT, (AJCarroll1019)
wrote:

Hello.I've tried airlayering many times in the past with very little (almost
none) success. But recently i picked up an old houseplant book and i saw
another method of airlayering in which the author cut a slit upwards into the
tree (about halfway into the trunk) as opposed to removing part of the bark. He
then slid a toothpick in to hold the cut open. Has anyone tried this method and
is it anymore efective.
thanks,
Aaron

I have been air layeing in this manner for over 20 years with my Ming
Aralias (Polyscias fruticosa)

Yes. This method will work fine on plants like these -- which
are really not hardwoods. But for "real" trees you will need to
use one of the more traditional layering methods for decent
results.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

[IBC] air layering Jim Lewis Bonsai 8 25-04-2004 11:18 PM
[IBC] Air layering Oak Trees George Bizas Bonsai 6 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
air layering XdjipsterX Bonsai 0 17-03-2003 02:32 AM
[IBC] Air Layering a shimpaku Neal Ross Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] air layering for new nebari Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 25-01-2003 02:13 PM