Old 23-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] bathroom bonsai

Robert,

What you say is true, but this is not the application
the requestor had in mind. He wants a permanet tree
in his bathroom. He doesn't seem to care that the
environment is not suitable to growing bonsai.

Kitsune Miko
--- Robert Armas wrote:

I don't say neither advocate the use of bonsai as
decoration per se, but a
nice alcove with an styled japanese corner with
scroll and all can benefit
from the accent that a bonsai can create for
special ocassions only.

Robert Armas

Old 23-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Nicolas Steenhout

What you say is true, but this is not the application
the requestor had in mind. He wants a permanet tree
in his bathroom. He
doesn't seem to care that the
environment is not suitable to growing bonsai.

OTOH, if there is a good window and tons of light, why *not* have a
permanent/semi-permanent tropical tree there? I could see a ficus of some
sort, in a good draining soil. Could be happy with the humid air.

Let's remember, we all do bonsai for different reasons. Perhaps I wouldn't
put a bonsai in the 'loo, but what's to say it's wrong? I say live and let
live.

My 2 kiwi cents

Nic

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Kitsune Miko

OK you say we all do bonsai for different reasons.
Some to collect and some to create, some to display in
bathrooms.

What’s wrong with a bathroom?

The atmosphere is not constant, one minute it is hot
and steamy then it cools off and dries out. I don’t
think this is a good arrangement for a bonsai. A
regular plant like a fern has a better chance of
survival than a bonsai in a small pot.

The writer says the bathroom is the most decorated
room in the house. In his message he sees the bonsai
as an accessory, not a living thing with needs. He
signs himself Druid, one who should be aware of the
needs of a product of mother earth.

I look at my bonsai as friends. I accept that I am
responsible for their well being, that I am the
caretaker. I respect them. They are, in a way, my
meditation or worship. There is a symbiotic
relationship where I gain peace from being with my
trees in exchange for their care.

Kitsune Miko

--- Nicolas Steenhout wrote:

What you say is true, but this is not the

application
the requestor had in mind. He wants a permanet

tree
in his bathroom. He
doesn't seem to care that the
environment is not suitable to growing bonsai.

OTOH, if there is a good window and tons of light,
why *not* have a
permanent/semi-permanent tropical tree there? I
could see a ficus of some
sort, in a good draining soil. Could be happy with
the humid air.

Let's remember, we all do bonsai for different
reasons. Perhaps I wouldn't
put a bonsai in the 'loo, but what's to say it's
wrong? I say live and let
live.

My 2 kiwi cents

Nic

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****

Old 24-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Bart Thomas

What you say is true, but this is not the application the requestor
had in mind. He wants a permanet tree in his bathroom. He doesn't
seem to care that the environment is not suitable to growing bonsai.

OTOH, if there is a good window and tons of light, why *not* have a
permanent/semi-permanent tropical tree there? I could see a ficus of some
sort, in a good draining soil. Could be happy with the humid air.

Let's remember, we all do bonsai for different reasons. Perhaps I wouldn't
put a bonsai in the 'loo, but what's to say it's wrong? I say live and let
live.

My 2 kiwi cents

Nic

Every winter, many of my tropicals have wintered in my naturally well-lit,
plus a skylight, bathroom.

With Supplemental lighting, everything loves it.

Last year, I experimented with using ambient lighting only. Ficus and Texas
Ebony were very happy. Jaboticaba tolerated it. Natal Plum had to be moved
to more light.

Old 24-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Bart Thomas

Old 24-09-2004, 04:25 AM
Steve wachs

The bathroom is a pefect room for a tropical type Bonsai if you hve
sufficient light. I keep serissa in my bathroom. But Ficus and Bougenvillea do just
as well. Dwarf bamboo works great also.

SteveW

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Try a Jade. If you get some decent sunlight through the window or supplement with a grow light it should be fine. Water it once a week and you'll be good to go. Not necessarily a "real" bonsai, but if you shape it via pinching it will be close enough for your purposes. If you can get enough light to it, the leaves will take on a really nice reddish tint on the edges. Sorry, no berries or flowers though.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-09-2004, 03:34 AM
Pierre

You must admit that growing a tree in a pot is not very natural in the
first place. Cutting roots, pinching, fertilising, "Superthriving", all
these operations are not natural. If you really were aware of the needs
of a tree, you would let it grow in nature, not in a pot, growing to its
natural full size. In the end, both situations are unatural and humans
must take mesures to allow the plant to survive, either in a pot outside
or in the bathroom. And, maybe this gentleman meditates while in the
bathroom. I do a lot of reading there myself!

Le 23 Sep 2004 15:20:00 -0700, Kitsune Miko a Ă©crit:

--
Utilisant M2, le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
http://www.opera.com/

[IBC] bathroom humor [email protected] Bonsai 17 28-09-2004 06:58 PM
bathroom bonsai Druid Bonsai 34 27-09-2004 09:32 AM
[IBC] bathroom humor [email protected] Bonsai 6 24-09-2004 07:37 PM
[IBC] bathroom humor Gary & Kathy Hendricks Bonsai 0 24-09-2004 06:02 PM
bathroom bonsai Druid Bonsai 0 22-09-2004 06:31 PM