Old 26-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Brazilian Pepper

In a message dated 9/26/2004 6:20:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

My girlfriend bought me a Brazilian pepper bonsai

This is a problem about common names. In Florida, the Brazilian pepper
is banned because it has become invasive. If it is cut down it comes back
stronger. The only way to kill it is to cut it off as close to the soil as
possible and treat the cut with Roundup weed killer at full strength within five
minutes.

From an old Florida gardening book published before we knew better.

Schinus terebinthifolius, This tree of rapid growth bears in winter clusters
of small red berries. As I think the Latin name implies it has a three part
compound leaf. The berries also earned it the name of Florida Holly because it
would have berries at Christmas time. It will freeze in the winter. So, if
this is really what you have protect it from cold.

An aside. If we get a frost sometimes the berries will ferment, birds eat
them, become disoriented and fly into things.

Billy on the Florida Hurricane and Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++