Old 03-10-2004, 01:18 AM
Joe S.

Default Dogwood bonsai?

Anyone here have experience with the dogwood as a bonsai ( American Dogwood,
Cornus florida ) ?

Anyone know of a bonsai nursery where I could purchase one already started?

Thanks.

--

-----
Joe S.

Old 03-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Iris Cohen

I prefer to answer e-mail from people with real addresses. I couldn't figure
yours out.
Anyone here have experience with the dogwood as a bonsai ( American Dogwood,
Cornus florida ) ?

I haven't tried it personally, but it's been done. I think I've seen one at
International Bonsai. It has to be a large one, since the growth habit & leaf
size don't reduce much, & the flowers, of course, not at all.

Anyone know of a bonsai nursery where I could purchase one already started?

I haven't seen them for sale. Your best bet would be to buy a nursery tree or
collect one on private property.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 03-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Alan Walker

Cornus kousa (Japanese dogwood or yamaboshi), C. mas
(cornelian cherry), and C. officianalis are more common bonsai
subjects.
I believe the common American or flowering dogwood (C.
florida) is notoriously fussy about having its roots disturbed.
It also has bigger flowers which are out of scale for bonsai.

Alan Walker

I prefer to answer e-mail from people with real addresses. I
couldn't figure yours out.
Anyone here have experience with the dogwood as a bonsai
(American Dogwood, Cornus florida)?

I haven't tried it personally, but it's been done. I think I've
seen one at
International Bonsai. It has to be a large one, since the growth
habit & leaf size don't reduce much, & the flowers, of course,
not at all.

Anyone know of a bonsai nursery where I could purchase one
already started?

I haven't seen them for sale. Your best bet would be to buy a
nursery tree or collect one on private property.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Marty Haber

Alan - I had a Cornus Kousa for 20 years. It was a running battle: first,
with borers; then with fungi; then it died.
But I enjoyed having it nonetheless.
Marty

I prefer to answer e-mail from people with real addresses. I
couldn't figure yours out.
Anyone here have experience with the dogwood as a bonsai
(American Dogwood, Cornus florida)?

I haven't tried it personally, but it's been done. I think I've
seen one at
International Bonsai. It has to be a large one, since the growth
habit & leaf size don't reduce much, & the flowers, of course,
not at all.

Anyone know of a bonsai nursery where I could purchase one
already started?

I haven't seen them for sale. Your best bet would be to buy a
nursery tree or collect one on private property.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: