Old 30-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Anil Kaushik

Default [IBC] Chinese Elm "Dwarf"

Hi Everybody

About three years ago I and some other members of or Club acquired some Dwarf Chinese Elms. The leaves of this species are similar to those of the Chinese elm expect they are tiny only 3 to 5 mm long. One variety has yellow margins and is sold as variegated. The plants are easy to propagate from cuttings. But when we transplant the rooted cuttings, most of them do not survive. Despite best efforts we could save hardly 5 percent. Same problem is encountered when its Bonsai is repotted. On the other hand, regular Chinese elm is very hardy and can tolerate all rigors. If anybody has some remedy please inform. Please also tell whether it is a hybrid and if so who are the parents or if it is a natural species.

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh "The City Beautiful"

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++