Old 22-10-2004, 11:45 PM
AJCarroll1019

Default wire question

Hello. I was browsing through a craft store the other day and bought a 50 foot
roll of black wire.i bought it and took it home to wire a juniper that needed
some styling. Being the careless person i am i forgot to check if it was
galvanized. the next morning i went out to water my plants and noticed that the
wire was coated with a layer of bright yellowish brown rust. My question is,
is there a threat to my tree. I assume that as long as it doesnt bite in to the
wood it will be ok but better safe than sorry.
thanks
Aaron
Old 23-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Alan Walker

Aaron: Your steel wire will be OK, except you will probably get
rust stains in the bark after a while. Those are unsightly, but
can probably be cleaned or weathered off eventually.
In the future you should look for aluminum or copper
wire. Those will work better at holding your branches, and they
won't stain. As you already surmised, the real concern is not to
let the wire cut into your branches as they grow.
Alan Walker

Hello. I was browsing through a craft store the other day and
bought a 50 foot roll of black wire. I bought it and took it home
to wire a juniper that needed some styling. Being the careless
person i am i forgot to check if it was galvanized. The next
morning i went out to water my plants and noticed that the wire
was coated with a layer of bright yellowish brown rust. My
question is, is there a threat to my tree. I assume that as long
as it doesn't bite in to the wood it will be ok, but better safe
than sorry.
thanks
Aaron

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++