Old 30-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Alejandro Bedini G.

Default [IBC] What is the correct name?

Hi all

I know the professional people who doing bonsai in a high
level(workshop, teach, demo, congress, lecture)
dont like Call or use the word MASTER.

What do you think is the correct name to use?
A) Teacher
B) Artist
C) professional
D) ????

Best regards, Alejandro.
Chile (Chili) South America
____________________
Alejandro Bedini G.
Académico
Depto de Industrias
UTFSM

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Kitsune Miko

You have opened one of those cans of worms we have
discussed and disected many times in the past. There
is no single correct answer to your question.

Sensei is an honorific that means teacher in Japanese.
It can be used for anyone who teaches. Ranking
bonsai practitioners/professionals/hobbists is not an
easy thing outside Japan. A hobbist can have
considerable knowledge and little formal training.
One can have formal training, but if one does not have
a good eye, the training is worthless.

Many times those who speak or give workshops have a
facility with one type of plant, but not others.

Master is, in my mind, a title used for one who has
done their training under another recognized master.
One who has put in the time that can be called an
appreticeship, and graduated. This apprenticeship is
usually 5 years. This doesn't mean that the work
created by a hobbist is less than that of a master.

My teachers are my trees. I study with them on an
ongoing basis. I look, listen and learn, but I have
yet to find a tree I can call master.

Kitsune Miko
--- "Alejandro Bedini G."
wrote:

Hi all

I know the professional people who doing bonsai in a
high
level(workshop, teach, demo, congress, lecture)
dont like Call or use the word MASTER.

What do you think is the correct name to use?
A) Teacher
B) Artist
C) professional
D) ????

Best regards, Alejandro.
Chile (Chili) South America
____________________
Alejandro Bedini G.
Académico
Depto de Industrias
UTFSM

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Old 30-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Alan Walker

How interesting that this topic should be revisited at
this time. I just published an article on bonsai masters and
competition in my local newsletter which addressed this topic in
passing. Here's the gist of the relevant part:
While I recognize that some people are bonsai masters, I
tend not to think of them by title, but rather as the individuals
they are. Often I agree with them, sometimes not. I'm not much
for gurus, wise men or masters, but I respect wisdom, knowledge
and experience. The title of master is there for anyone to claim
or confer. In itself the title is meaningless. The meaning comes
from the essence of the one who wears the title.
Sandy/Kitsune mentions the distinction between hobbyist
and professional bonsaiist. There are many advanced practitioners
who consider the hobbyist to be the "higher" calling, assuming
that the hobbyist practices art for art's sake and not having to
yield to commercial aspects. Perhaps there is some merit to the
idea, but I don't know about this. I'm not a fan of such
dichotomous stereotypical distinctions.
Back to your choices, I'm one who uses the title "master"
sparingly and prefer to our guest speakers as artists or
teachers. The "masters" themselves don't seem to mind! ;-)
Alan Walker

You have opened one of those cans of worms we have discussed and
dissected many times in the past. There is no single correct
answer to your question.

Sensei is an honorific that means teacher in Japanese. It can be
used for anyone who teaches. Ranking bonsai
practitioners/professionals/hobbyists is not an easy thing
outside Japan. A hobbyist can have considerable knowledge and
little formal training. One can have formal training, but if one
does not have a good eye, the training is worthless.

Many times those who speak or give workshops have a facility with
one type of plant, but not others.

Master is, in my mind, a title used for one who has done their
training under another recognized master. One who has put in the
time that can be called an apprenticeship, and graduated. This
apprenticeship is usually 5 years. This doesn't mean that the
work created by a hobbyist is less than that of a master.

Old 30-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Theo

HI Alan
I agree with you
I do not like the terminology of *master* create a sort of barrier
between two people

I recognize accept and respect the knowledge some people has and
that is superior to my knowledge,
and anyway is an endless knowledge ... so we all are * teachers* and
pupils at the same time
but some *knows * more than others * and it is a fact
but knowledge is not a monopoly it is something we all can acquire
artistic taste is another thing ...but can improved too

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 30-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Jim Lewis

On 30 Nov 2004 at 23:02, Theo wrote:

HI Alan
I agree with you
I do not like the terminology of *master* create a sort of barrier
between two people

I recognize accept and respect the knowledge some people has and
that is superior to my knowledge,
and anyway is an endless knowledge ... so we all are * teachers* and
pupils at the same time
but some *knows * more than others * and it is a fact
but knowledge is not a monopoly it is something we all can acquire
artistic taste is another thing ...but can improved too

And some of us know quite a bit about some things and much less
on others. And nothing about the rest. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

Old 01-12-2004, 05:23 AM
Theo

Jim Lewis wrote:

And some of us know quite a bit about some things and much less
on others. And nothing about the rest. ;-)

well *di tutto un poco " is a nice formula
( a little of eveyrthing)

Old 01-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Andrew G

"Alejandro Bedini G." wrote in message
Hi all

I know the professional people who doing bonsai in a high
level(workshop, teach, demo, congress, lecture)
dont like Call or use the word MASTER.

What do you think is the correct name to use?
A) Teacher
B) Artist
C) professional
D) ????

I would have to say Teacher, if they are teaching it in a class.
Professional if they make a living out of bonsai, that being creating and
selling them (teaching too under this title).
Otherwise I would go with hobbyist if it's a hobby, and not your main source
of income.
I think Master is a little over the top, and I don't really see it as an
artist. Yes, some bonsai starters here in OZ are labelled as a living art,
which maybe they are in a way, but then so would someones well kept garden.
Cheers
Andrew

--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

Old 01-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Andrew G

[...]

Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
Correct name anyone Wendy7 Garden Photos 8 19-05-2008 04:25 PM
[IBC] Fwd: [IBC] What is the correct name? Kitsune Miko Bonsai 1 30-11-2004 03:23 PM
[IBC] Correct name Anil Kaushik Bonsai 1 10-09-2004 10:51 AM
Need a correct name, please limey Gardening 5 07-07-2003 02:20 AM