Old 01-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Andrew G

"Alejandro Bedini G." wrote in message
news:008a01c4d6eb$43d92760$2a1601c8@bedini...
Hi all

I know the professional people who doing bonsai in a high
level(workshop, teach, demo, congress, lecture)
dont like Call or use the word MASTER.

What do you think is the correct name to use?
A) Teacher
B) Artist
C) professional
D) ????

I would have to say Teacher, if they are teaching it in a class.
Professional if they make a living out of bonsai, that being creating and
selling them (teaching too under this title).
Otherwise I would go with hobbyist if it's a hobby, and not your main source
of income.
I think Master is a little over the top, and I don't really see it as an
artist. Yes, some bonsai starters here in OZ are labelled as a living art,
which maybe they are in a way, but then so would someones well kept garden.
Cheers
Andrew

--
Mid North Coast
New South Wales

Old 01-12-2004, 02:06 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Semantics, semantics. Words mean things and can have an effect just by
their use. We probably need to be aware of the unspoken baggage that words
bring with them when we use them. For example, the three words you listed
bring with them (to me) the implication that the subject makes at least a
part of his living doing this. "Professional" is an adjective which
emphasizes this for another word such as "professional nurseryman".

Is this the image you get? And if so, is it the image you wish to convey?
Do you wish to restrict the discussion to only those who gain a large part
of their income from the practice of bonsai? The word (that doesn't carry
the economic implication) I lean toward for people I respect is "talent",
as in "he has a talent with pines". The radio and television people use it
in a "professional" sense when they refer to "on-air talent", no training
necessary but needs a certain flair.

My local club is sponsoring the '06 state convention and we have been
discussing workshop and demonstration leaders. Some of those discussed
would fall under ALL of the titles listed, some have formal training in
Japan, some are "self-taught" (which means that they have made their
mistakes by themselves) and some have "backed into" the bonsai community
from somewhere else (landscape designer, nurseryman, etc.). But the one
thing they all have in common is the respect that the general bonsai
community pays to them. They are all "talents".

Now I'll go away again. Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

I know the professional people who doing bonsai in a high
level(workshop, teach, demo, congress, lecture)
dont like Call or use the word MASTER.

What do you think is the correct name to use?
A) Teacher
B) Artist
C) professional
D) ????

---------- CLIP ----------

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Iris Cohen

The Japanese name for such people is sensei. There are other words that have
entered the English language from various directions, such as maven or guru,
but if you call someone a bonsai maven or a bonsai guru, people may think you
are joking.
Do you realize that the Spanish word hacienda (fazenda in Portuguese), which is
a large farm, is the equivalent of the English word factory?
(The word maven means someone who understands, from Hebrew via Yiddish.)
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra
Old 01-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Iris Cohen

The Japanese name for such people is sensei. There are other words that have
entered the English language from various directions, such as maven or guru,
but if you call someone a bonsai maven or a bonsai guru, people may think you
are joking.
Do you realize that the Spanish word hacienda (fazenda in Portuguese), which is
a large farm, is the equivalent of the English word factory?
(The word maven means someone who understands, from Hebrew via Yiddish.)
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 08:22 AM
Correct name anyone Wendy7 Garden Photos 8 19-05-2008 04:25 PM
[IBC] Fwd: [IBC] What is the correct name? Kitsune Miko Bonsai 1 30-11-2004 03:23 PM
[IBC] Correct name Anil Kaushik Bonsai 1 10-09-2004 10:51 AM
Need a correct name, please limey Gardening 5 07-07-2003 02:20 AM