Old 01-12-2004, 08:24 PM
Iris Cohen

Yes. Just heard Walter speak on that very subject. He finished up with a
dissertation on the American trends, but without even mentioning buttonwood.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Old 01-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

On 1 Dec 2004 at 21:14, Theo wrote:

http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/hanfordbo...sai_design.htm
in english !

Yes. This is the same -- or very much the same -- article
Walter did for one of the bonsai magazines in 2 or 3 parts (ABS
Journal, I think) after trying it out on us in the gallery over
the course of several weeks.

It is a very good essay on the art of bonsai and I agree with
much more of it than I disagree with -- FWIW.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Theo

Iris Cohen wrote:

Yes. Just heard Walter speak on that very subject. He finished up with a
dissertation on the American trends, but without even mentioning buttonwood.

it is an interesting topic indeed ( the style and fashion linked to
bonsai ),
I do not know the european name for the buttonwood..

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 01-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Theo

I like it .. it relativize the wiewing of bonsai .. according the
context we live in .. and opens new perspectives

Old 01-12-2004, 11:35 PM
marco favero

At 22.07 01/12/2004, Theo wrote:
Iris Cohen wrote:

Yes. Just heard Walter speak on that very subject. He finished up with a
dissertation on the American trends, but without even mentioning

buttonwood.

it is an interesting topic indeed ( the style and fashion linked to
bonsai ),
I do not know the european name for the buttonwood..

Theo,

it is platanus occidentalis ( platano americano)

marco

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 02-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Alan Walker

Theo: The botanical name for buttonwood is Conocarpus erectus.
Alan Walker

Old 02-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Iris Cohen

I do not know the european name for the buttonwood..
Theo,
it is platanus occidentalis ( platano americano)

A common error. This is why we have botanical names. I was referring to Florida
buttonwood, Conocarpus erectus. It is God's gift to American bonsai, equal to
anything the mountains of China or Japan can produce. Sadly, it is little known
in Europe, although it would probably be easy to grow in the Mediterranean
countries. The problem is that you can't grow one from seed or cuttings, since
its whole appeal is the deadwood. They are collected, which makes them very
expensive.
Actually, Platanus occidentalis, which we call sycamore, is not particularly
suited for bonsai. The leaves are way too big.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:01 AM
Iris Cohen

[...]

New year , new place , new garden Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 3 16-04-2013 06:55 PM
[IBC] Translation help botanical names was: new tendency Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 1 03-12-2004 08:30 AM
[IBC] new tendency Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 13 02-12-2004 05:03 PM
new tendency Theo Bonsai 0 01-12-2004 08:14 PM
Transplanting Trees...New gardener...New poster kahunamo Gardening 3 03-06-2003 05:32 PM