Old 09-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Steve

Default Large Bonsai question

I have seen and admired the larger Bonsai's for some time now
and would like to have at least one in my collection.

Every year I go out to my Dad's ranch and get about 3 elms that the
cattle beat up. I start looking now and remove them just before spring.
The problem is, they are only around 1 inch in diameter at the base
and I would like them to be much larger ( several inches at the base).
There are bigger Yaupon's and Elm's, but their lowest branch is 1 ft
or more from the ground.

I don't know if I should air layer ( would be hard to keep watered) these
big trees
or start cutting them way back to encourage lower branches.

Could I get some advise?
Is there a good book on just this subject?

BTW, I live in Texas and have not had any Bonsai's die on me for a few
years now (collected included).

Thanks
Steve

Old 09-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Alan Walker

Steve: First, congratulations on your lack of tree mortality.
You're doing better than most of us! ;-)
If you are in Texas, then the elms you are finding are
probably Ulmus crassula (cedar elm). The leaves on these trees
are rather rough, like a cat's tongue, hence the name 'crassula'.
Some of my favorite bonsai are cedar elm. You can find more on
this tree at http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/cedarelm.html
If you want a large trunk, you'll pretty much need to
start with a large trunk. That means you'll probably be digging
up a tree which is about 15 feet tall and cutting it down to
24"-36". Of course, it won't have any usable branches that low,
but elms are good at backbudding and will provide you with new
branches to develop in no time.

Alan Walker

[...]

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 09-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Craig Cowing

Alan Walker wrote:

snip
If you want a large trunk, you'll pretty much need to
start with a large trunk. That means you'll probably be digging
up a tree which is about 15 feet tall and cutting it down to
24"-36". Of course, it won't have any usable branches that low,
but elms are good at backbudding and will provide you with new
branches to develop in no time.

Alan Walker

Sounds like my kind of project. Go for it!

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 10-12-2004, 12:53 AM
Alan Walker

Steve: You don't need to do this with yaupon holly. You can find
shorter specimens with fat trunks, because they tend to grow as a
bush rather than a tree.

Alan Walker