Old 30-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Carl Rosner

Default [IBC] Miracid

Dear forum Members:
This may sound amusing, but I have a 3 3/4 pound
plastic box of Miracid 30-10-10 and even though I keep
it closed the open plastic bag (there are two) has
absorbed moisture and the fertilizer is sitting in
liquid.

Is this normal or??? If it is normal how do you cope
or do you just go to another brand?

I tried to contact the manufacturers, but they have
not responded.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

http://rosner.becanz.net
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Nina

Not amusing for me, since this happens to me a lot (luckily, I buy a
smaller size than you do). Nothing should "spoil" the fertilizer in
the short run, although I don't know how stable the chelating agents
are in Miracid, and it's the chelating agents that keep the iron
soluble and available to plants. Overall, the fertilizer should be
fine- especially if you store it outside where it will freeze.

Perhaps your houseplants deserve a special treat!

Nina.

Old 30-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Marty Haber

Hi Carl,
It's hard to keep granular nitrogen dry, since it absorbs water from the
atmosphere. It's even moist in closed bags. Anyway, the moisture doesn't
hurt its nutritive quality. It'll work wet or dry, so just grin and bear
it.
Marty
This may sound amusing, but I have a 3 3/4 pound
plastic box of Miracid 30-10-10 and even though I keep
it closed the open plastic bag (there are two) has
absorbed moisture and the fertilizer is sitting in
liquid.

Is this normal or??? If it is normal how do you cope
or do you just go to another brand?

I tried to contact the manufacturers, but they have
not responded.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

http://rosner.becanz.net
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-12-2004, 06:02 PM
jklewis

One of those crystal dehumidifying bags (removed and microwaved often) will help keep moisture away. Don't put it in the fertilizer, but in the cotainer, but outside the plastic bag that holds the fertilizer.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 30-12-2004, 06:02 PM
jklewis

Old 30-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Carl Rosner

STEVE AND ALL YOU WONDERFUL IBC'ERS:

The valuable answers supplied by some of the more knowedgeable members is why, I ask a question here, and know I will get some good answers to evaluate and decide what will work for me.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

http://rosner.becanz.net

http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

steven hebson wrote:
i have had the same problem i through the stuff away.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-12-2004, 10:03 PM
James T Harwood

At 09:30 AM 12/30/2004, Carl Rosner wrote:
Dear forum Members:
This may sound amusing, but I have a 3 3/4 pound
plastic box of Miracid 30-10-10 and even though I keep
it closed the open plastic bag (there are two) has
absorbed moisture and the fertilizer is sitting in
liquid.

Is this normal or??? If it is normal how do you cope
or do you just go to another brand?

I tried to contact the manufacturers, but they have
not responded.

I buy the largest box of MiracleGro (or Miracid) that I can find that
contains individual bags of about one pound each. These stay dry until
each is used, which is usually one application for me.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 30-12-2004, 10:12 PM
steven hebson

my apologies carl i meant to send it to the list. but hit send, instead of
send to all.
i have used other plant foods of similar makeup and never had this problem.

Old 30-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Carl Rosner

Thank you Nina for your answer.... I just wanted to add that I switch between several fertilizers, including super Bloom 12-55-6, the Miracid 30-10-10 and Peters 20-20-20. I use each in the last of three watering five days a week. My mixture is 1/4 tweaspoon to a gallon of water.

Carl L. Rosner

PS: I think that should give them a smoorgasbord of fertilizers. I do try and treat them well.

Old 31-12-2004, 01:54 AM
Iris Cohen

At 09:30 AM 12/30/2004, Carl Rosner wrote:
Dear forum Members:
This may sound amusing, but I have a 3 3/4 pound
plastic box of Miracid 30-10-10 and even though I keep
it closed the open plastic bag (there are two) has
absorbed moisture and the fertilizer is sitting in
liquid.

Miracid is very strongly deliquescent. It is usable but messy up to a point.
Keep it as tightly closed as you can, & next time buy less.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"A tree never hits an automobile except in self defense." - Woody Allen

[IBC] Miracid Carl Rosner Bonsai 0 30-12-2004 03:30 PM
[IBC] Azaleas and Miracid sam crowell Bonsai 2 01-06-2004 02:24 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM