Old 06-03-2005, 03:47 AM

Default [IBC] Italian Stone Pine

Somebody just gave me an Italian stone pine, one of those retired grocery
store Christmas trees. I found Ernie Kuo's article, but no other information. It
appears to be grafted. Anybody know why? One Web site claims it can be grown
indoors. Is this true? Doesn't it need a dormant period?
Has anyone had any experience with this as a bonsai? I wasn't crazy about
Ernie's styling, if I may be forgiven for saying so. It looks a little too
Japanese, possibly because his inspiration came from a cultivated tree. The pictures
I have seen of this species in Italy and Israel look like an umbrella in a
hurricane. I was wondering if I should try it in something like the Peier Neuf
style, which is the way Acacias grow.
Can anyone give me more information about its growth habits and other
peculiarities? When should I repot it in the North? Does it respond to the same
pinching techniques you use on a spruce or cedar?
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-03-2005, 06:45 AM
Theo

Hi Iris
the styling Ernie did is as all 99 % stones pines looks like a Mushroom
as you know
the Ernie's looks a little bit short/crushed the real ones are
more slender and elegant as you sow yourself
I am personally growing a pentaphilla in that style as I love teh
stone pine look !

The stone pine grows in zone 7 to 10 the the stone pine is a black
one and has very long needles and needs a perfect know how to make it
often are grafted as it is a way to get a quicker one than from a seed
I hade one that is almost 50 cm tall after 8 years and started 2
years ago to make long needles before they were baby needles...
just put in the plain ground as it is too slow for someone of my age ..

Ernie published in a number of the Bonsai magazine a diagram of
the cycle of cutting and decandling ..
repotting end april may when is quite warm and the tip of the
roots white and candles starts growing .. needs 2 weeks of humidity after
If you cannot find the diagram of Ernie Kuo I will make a scanning
and send you it is from the american zine...
let me know
Theo

wrote:

[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :

Old 06-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Craig Cowing

On Mar 5, 2005, at 10:47 PM, wrote:

Somebody just gave me an Italian stone pine, one of those retired
grocery
store Christmas trees. I found Ernie Kuo's article, but no other
information. It
appears to be grafted. Anybody know why? One Web site claims it can be
grown
indoors. Is this true? Doesn't it need a dormant period?
snip
Can anyone give me more information about its growth habits and other
peculiarities? When should I repot it in the North? Does it respond to
the same
pinching techniques you use on a spruce or cedar?
Iris

Iris:

We have one too! Anita found one at a grocery store in Delaware. It
has a 2" base and nice triangular form. I think we're going to style
it as a formal upright. I've had it indoors in the same area where the
Kingsville boxwoods are, which is cooler than the rest of the house. I
understand that it is rated for zone 8. We are basically going to treat
it as the Kingsvilles--keep it out until Thanksgiving or so and see
what happens. We couldn't pass up the trunk, and the price was right.

Craig and Anita
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37
Ten months of winter, two months of damned poor skiing.