Old 03-01-2009, 11:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Italian Stone Pine

Hello everyone,

I was given a small potted Italian pine as a gift and I want to plant
it outside if possible.

I did a little googling but couldn't find info on when and how to
transplant from a pot to the outdoors.

I'm near Richmond Virginia and I'm not sure it will survive outside,
especially if I try to plant it outside now.

Any advice and info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

VV

Old 09-01-2009, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Not really, unless it was from a HD and was left outside, it could
have hardened itself off. But, if you have had it indoors since u got
it, then I wouldn't try to put it out. I read somewhere that they were
only to 42 deg....
Old 10-01-2009, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Take a look at this paper:

http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/PINPINA.pdf

Take a special look at the second page which shows the potential range
of the Italian Stone Pine and make sure you live within (or at least
near) it's potential range. If so, transplant it early spring, after
the danger of a hard freeze has passed but don't wait too late as it
need to establish itself before any hot dry weather occurs.

Old 18-01-2009, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 10, 1:37*pm, Leopold Stotch wrote:
Good write up in Wikipedia -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Pine

Thanks a bunch ! I apologize for not responding sooner. The weather
has been causing mucho problemo.

Again, thanks for the help.

V~V

Old 21-01-2009, 10:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 3, 3:03*pm, wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was given a small potted Italian pine as a gift and I want to plant
it outside if possible.

I did a little googling but couldn't find info on when and how to
transplant from a pot to the outdoors.

I'm near Richmond Virginia and I'm not sure it will survive outside,
especially if I try to plant it outside now.

Any advice and info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

VV

Hope everything worked out well, really is a beautiful tree. For your
next gardening project my favorite website is http://www.thehardwarecity.com
-- they seem to have better prices then my local garden supply/
hardware store Ive found.