Old 30-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Default [IBC] Italian Stone Pine

I am taking my Pinus pinea to a workshop next week, armed with pictures from
the Web, a field guide to trees of Israel with even wilder pictures, and
Charles Ceronio's book, since this tree MUST be grown in Pierneef style.
I had a question about candles. The person who gave it to me had it for 2
years & never saw hide nor hair of a candle. Its growth habit was like Aleppo
pine. However, there is a picture from Spain with candles & Ernie Kuo said it had
candles. Now I know. My tree is growing a candle on the top branch. So
candles are associated with adult growth more than three years old. Since I need to
keep the juvenile growth habit, I will probably cut it off.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-06-2005, 01:46 PM

In a message dated 6/20/05 12:06:08 AM, Tiziano writes:
it takes 5 years almost to start making some adult needles

That makes sense. The tree was probably a year or two old when my friend
bought it, and he had it for another two years before I got it. Now that it has
been cowed into submission, it will probably not try to make any more candles
for quite a while.
After I sat through a four hour lecture/demonstration on Pierneef style,
Charles Ceronio signed two copies of his book and descended on my tree. It is now
starting to bud back, Gott sie danke, but he cut off the two bottom
branches, so I will eventually have to repot it turned around.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Michael Persiano

Craig:

Italian Stone pine can be transformed into an acceptable bonsai illusion, but it is far from being on the top of my list of those species most deserving of our long-term commitment.

Wiring is essential, worth the effort, and yields favorable results. Be certain that you manage the candles, or you will find yourself facing undesirable internodal growth.

I've yet to see one that sends my bonsai spirit soaring. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/pinebook.html

In a message dated 6/20/05 12:06:08 AM, Tiziano writes:
it takes 5 years almost to start making some adult needles

That makes sense. The tree was probably a year or two old when my friend
bought it, and he had it for another two years before I got it. Now that it has
been cowed into submission, it will probably not try to make any more candles
for quite a while.
After I sat through a four hour lecture/demonstration on Pierneef style,
Charles Ceronio signed two copies of his book and descended on my tree. It is now
starting to bud back, Gott sie danke, but he cut off the two bottom
branches, so I will eventually have to repot it turned around.
Iris

Anita has one that she's given up on, so I think I'm going to have a go at it. I'm thinking sort of a flat-top style. It's old enough so it has one purple cone developing on top. Enough branches to begin working with. How does this species respond to wiring?

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-06-2005, 09:50 PM
theo

Ernie Kuo published a program of needle cutting on black
pine Bonsai Today# 42( The only one issue I have ) page 24
pinus pinea I guess is much similar and should respond
probably the same way...

Craig Cowing wrote:

POST TENEBRAS LUX
Mais c'est quoi la realité?
http://groups.google.it/group/free.it.arte.bonsai
http://www.easybonsai.altervista.org/

Old 20-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Tiziano

Michael Persiano wrote:

I've yet to see one that sends my bonsai spirit soaring. );-)

well I guess teh only one available to be drrn in the net
is Ernie's
I am trying to do the same with a pentaphilla ( Mushroom
shape as in Rome .. or Naples )
the scale proportion might be valid

Old 21-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Jim Lewis

Tiziano wrote:
wrote:

In a message dated 6/20/05 12:06:08 AM, Tiziano writes:

it takes 5 years almost to start making some adult needles

That makes sense. The tree was probably a year or two old when my friend
bought it, and he had it for another two years before I got it. Now that it has
been cowed into submission, it will probably not try to make any more candles
for quite a while.
After I sat through a four hour lecture/demonstration on Pierneef style,
Charles Ceronio signed two copies of his book and descended on my tree. It is now
starting to bud back, Gott sie danke, but he cut off the two bottom
branches, so I will eventually have to repot it turned around.
Iris

very sensible to repotting .. mine, I got rid of it after
6 years put into the plain soil( and a lawn mower got it
)
it started last year to make in top few 4-6 " adult
needles but all the others were short ones even in low
side branches .. you need a special technique and climate
to grow it properly Ernie lives south (like in Israel) and
you live north like me so it is more complicate

This is, I think, a tree that is NOT worth the effort you
must put into it to make even a fair bonsai.

Jim Lewis -
- This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 21-06-2005, 07:35 AM
Tiziano

Craig Cowing wrote:

I'll have to look at some pictures. This isn't one of those things I'm
absolutely burning to do. Just thought it would be fun to try.

it is IMHO a sort of Bunjing as is geneally tall slim
solitar ( we call it Pino solitario ( lone pine) and flat on
top it is very romantic and nostalgic and I understand Iris
that she wishes one, I wish one also since I was kuid and
I know now the difficulty , hence I am using a pentaphilla
instead.. I have seen on a bonsai book 2 chainese saikei
with several flat to pentaphilla , 25 " tall about a little
bit *short on legs* to my opinion but quite emoting

The stone pines with a somewhat flat top are pictures from
Germany.

Germany ? is not their country
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thum..._di_Roma_2.jpg
http://italia.grafiko.org/wROparaso2.jpg
should see those one from Israel and Rome the Roman
ones are known as being huger than the standard you can
see in Naple in romantic drawing with the Vesuvio volcano
as Lanscape
If Japanese had the same sort of trees (and climate less
turmented ) we might have some Hiroshige's wiew of the
Fujiyama & stone pines Napolitan aquarello style
Tiziano

Old 21-06-2005, 01:09 PM

I have to have one because
they grow in Israel
they are said to be the oldest cultivated tree (6,000 years)
they are the source of pignolis, which I love (the American equivalent, Pinus
edulis, is the pinyon pine)
they seem to be a good bonsai subject, although I don't particularly like
Ernie Kuo's.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++