Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Philadelphia Flower Show

Anita and I are going to the Philadelphia Flower Show tomorrow (Monday,
Mar. 7). We should be there between 12 N and 1 PM, and will probably
stay into the evening. Is anyone else going? We'd love to meet up
with anyone on the list who will be there. I've never been there, and
it sounds like quite an experience.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Nina

Today I have a dentist appointment.

But Thursday I'll be at the Philly Flower show, glad to meet up with
anyone who'll be there. However, Craig and Anita are more entertaining
by far.

I NEED TO SEE FLOWERS.....

Old 07-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Bart Thomas

I'll be there Wed & Thurs. Probably hanging out around the Rosade display.

Bart

Craig Cowing wrote:
Anita and I are going to the Philadelphia Flower Show tomorrow

(Monday,
Mar. 7).

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Craig Cowing

On Mar 7, 2005, at 8:18 AM, Nina wrote:

Today I have a dentist appointment.

But Thursday I'll be at the Philly Flower show, glad to meet up with
anyone who'll be there. However, Craig and Anita are more entertaining
by far.

Well, Anita was more entertaining than I was. We went to the vendor
that she likes, which sells leaves and seeds dipped in gold that make
great earrings or necklaces, and she gave the sales person a hard time
because they were calling alder cones pine cones instead. After a
couple of minutes I told the sales person that I was going to take her
back to the hospital because she needed to get back . . .

I NEED TO SEE FLOWERS.....

Oh, you'll see them. There is a great display of succulents and cacti
also. Some really big ones. The Pennsylvania Bonsai Society display is
excellent, with one really strange thing--the phoenix graft juniper
that is the centerpiece has some of the lifelines painted on! Looks
like shoe polish. Mind you, the tree itself is really good, with
wonderful branch placement. We were disappointed in that. Otherwise,
the display was well done with some great trees. One rather stumpy
crabapple in an avant garde pot didn't do much for me--needed more
taper and the pot was strange. Branch development was good though.

Chase Rosade has a very good display with some really nice trees. We
talked with him for a few minutes last night.

Those were the highlights for me. Time well spent.

Something to think about if you're going. If you buy a membership you
get two free tickets. You also get 10% off at many vendors booths, and
discounts at a number of area nurseries. You also get discounts at a
number of arboreta and garden displays around the country. At Brooklyn
Botanical Gardens you get in for free, NY Botanical Garden for half
price on the weekend, free during the week, that sort of thing. We got
a family membership for $70. The catch is you have to go to the Penn.
Horticultural Society headquarters (at this point) to get the free
tickets. It's a few blocks walk from the convention center.