Old 18-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Jim Lewis

Remember my pygmy date palm that you guys decided is a bonsai by courtesy? It
is in a dark brown unglazed round literati pot, about 9" x 5". A visiting
expert suggested that it would look more elegant in a glazed pot, but where do I
find one in those dimentions, that I can afford? I looked at Bonsaimonk &
Dallas Bonsai Gardens, but they didn't have anything I could use. Ceramic pots in
the garden stores are either too deep or too garish. any suggestions?
Iris

Does it HAVE to be a "bonsai" pot? Check out ikebana pots, then
drill a hole in the bottom. I do that often. MUCH more
imagination and color used for ikebana pots than for bonsai pots
-- which are STEEPED in tradition.

You could even check out the houseplant section at your local
nursery.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Jim Lewis

Your statements imply that Ebay sellers are not legal, have good bonsai
supplies nor reputable. You are making a large generalization, there are
legal, reputable bonsai dealers that do sell on Ebay.
Anton

But from the few times I've looked, there are a vastly larger
number of dealers in bonsai junk there.

Jim Lewis - - "IF YOU'VE SEEN ONE REDWOOD
TREE, YOU'VE SEEN THEM ALL."- Forestry expert, Ronald Reagan

Old 20-03-2005, 12:54 AM
Craig Cowing

Old 20-03-2005, 05:20 AM
Alan Walker

EBay, like Wal-Mart, is a fact of life in contemporary
economy. As individual consumers, we can ignore them or indulge
in them. They are major market forces, however, and anyone
participating in the market has to know that you have to be
really lucky AND talented to work around them successfully.
Many legitimate bonsai businesses have decided that they
ignore eBay at their peril, so they market there routinely. There
are also many disreputable vendors there selling poor quality
merchandise with no service. Dale and others have pointed out
several practical and ethical reasons to beware of eBay and to
support local and established vendors who have real names and
offer real service.
That's what I prefer to do personally. However, to flatly
warn to avoid eBay seems a little xenophobic to me. I find a
balanced warning a lot more credible. If we don't have something
like this on the IBC FAQ already, I suggest it would be helpful
to do so.

Alan Walker

From: Craig Cowing
I agree. Forget eBay.

Old 20-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Bart Thomas

Alan:

I have been buying on eBay for years. (Not bonsai stuff in recent years.)
One has to be careful to assume the worst, looking for the omitted words in
the description.

Simply put, look at the text as hard as you would look at the merchandise.
eBay sellers run from fair to excellent, and the feedback system works
fairly well.

For basic bonsai supplies, wire, etc., I rely on local suppliers. I want
them to be there in the future, and know I have to support them to ensure
that.