Old 28-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Chrysanthemum Bonsai

Does anyone have a source of info on this?? I can do
it by instinct, but have others asking me for
specifics.

Kits

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Alan Walker

There is the classic book by Carl and Shin Young, but it is out of print and rare. I seem to recall a nice section on chrysanthemum bonsai in an old book by Kaz Yoneda, also.
Alan Walker

Old 28-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Jim Lewis

Does anyone have a source of info on this?? I can do
it by instinct, but have others asking me for
specifics.

Kits

Kan Yashorida's "Bonsai: Japanese Miniature Trees, their style,
cultivation and training" (1960) has quite a bit about
chrysanthemum bonsai.

The 1976 version of Sunset's book also has a bit on
chrysanthemum bonsai.

Check our archives. We had a discussion a year or two back and
someone provided some references. I THINK one of our members
did an article for one of the magazines.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we see
land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it
with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County Almanac

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Mathias Uely

Hi
I read somewhere that they last 14 years no more , just trim the
branches after the flowering season and keep it in a green house
between 7-12 ° celsious in the winther repot in spring as usuzal and
fertilize like any other plant
wiring is delicate as branches must shatter esily after summertime
lignification so shaping must be done with scissors mainly leave
always a pair of leaves when you cut a brench and take away flowers
after they fades to avoid stressing teh plant
I guess the rules are the same as everywhere for this sort of shrubs
gardenias roses and so on

Old 28-03-2005, 06:50 PM
dalecochoy

I'm going to forward to you all the info you need including the best book
info, which is out of print but fairly available through used book sites
like Bibliofind.com
I got a Like New one for $30ish dollars. Great pics.
Our club did a year-long workshop with them using Kings Mums "gnomes" which
are great for bonsai. About 8 types. Check their pages, get a catalog and
they have a $2 pamphlet on bonsai. Some old ones on their site.and I wrote
an article for American Bonsai Society journal a few years ago inc. pics.
I'll send you the article in a couple formats.
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware