Old 18-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Kees

Default Mountain Maple question

Hi all,
After going through all my books and spending a fair amount of time on
the internet I am turning to the resources of rec.arts.bonsai for
help.

I have seen a few photographs of bonsai maples labeled simply as
"Mountain Maples". They seem to be acer palmatum but there is never a
mention of the variety (if that is the right term).

An example is in Craig Coussins "Totally Bonsai" on page 87 there is a
Mountain maple (acer palmatum).

My local bonsai retailer is going to the west coast this weekend to
buy stock from overseas. He has asked me just exactly what a Mountain
maple is in latin as there are many different types of maples to pick
from.

Is this a generic acer palmatum, if there is such a thing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 18-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Steven Wachs

There is a Maple referred to as a Mountain maple. Acer Spicadum. It is native to the northeast US.
I suppose there is a Palmatum that has been given a trade name of Mountain Maple , but I doubt it is a valid name.

Stevew
Long Island NY

After going through all my books and spending a fair amount of time on
the internet I am turning to the resources of rec.arts.bonsai for
help.

I have seen a few photographs of bonsai maples labeled simply as
"Mountain Maples". They seem to be acer palmatum but there is never a
mention of the variety (if that is the right term).

An example is in Craig Coussins "Totally Bonsai" on page 87 there is a
Mountain maple (acer palmatum).

My local bonsai retailer is going to the west coast this weekend to
buy stock from overseas. He has asked me just exactly what a Mountain
maple is in latin as there are many different types of maples to pick
from.

Is this a generic acer palmatum, if there is such a thing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Red Maple / Silver Maple What's the Difference? [email protected] Gardening 5 19-06-2005 10:28 AM
[IBC] Mountain maple Peter Bonsai 4 19-04-2005 07:02 AM
Mountain Ash Question Monroe Gardening 4 13-07-2004 03:02 PM
Mountain Laurel Question(s) Suzie-Q Gardening 3 15-09-2003 03:12 AM
Kalmia Latifolia (Mountain Laurel) Question mbillian Gardening 3 24-06-2003 02:20 AM