Old 23-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Kitsune Miko

Bonsai is a personal journey for many of us no matter
how we go about our process. I think sitting in
judgment of another’s process is counter productive to
that process. There are many ways of birthing a
bonsai. Seed, Cutting, collecting, nursery stock, all
valid in my book.

My personal choices are from cuttings or collected
materials ( collected from neighbors, wild and
nurseries) With over 300 trees in my collection, I am
a bit picky about what I add or subtract from that
collection. I have a 30 year old koto hime maple
(very small leaves) that is about 25 years in my care
from a 4” nursery pot. It is now in a 2 gallon can
and has gone from pencil size in diameter to about
2”. We have a relationship. She has been mother to
many other Shohin sized bonsai grown from cuttings.
She has populated forests from 1.5” in height to about
10 inches in height. She is not a bonsai tree, but
may start becoming one soon. She is in partner with
me for my process.

Do I think this is the only way to do bonsai? No. I
have tried my seeds. I have trees in the ground. I
have many spectacular trunks with good nebari. I
don’t consider any of these bonsai at this point in
our lives, but we continue the journey.

Kits

****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Steve wachs

OKOK ALL I MEANT WAS. THIS PERSON IS JUST STARTING BONSAI. WE ALL KNOW THAT TO START A BONSAI FROM SEEDS WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. I AM NOT SAYING YOU SHOULDN'T TRY BONSAI FROM SEEDS. I DO IT MYSELF. MATTER OF FACT I HAVE A FEW POMEGRANATE SEEDS THAT SPROUTED. I AM JUST TRYING TO GET THIS NEW PERSON TO GET THE FEEL FOR BONSAI BEFORE THOSE SEEDS TAKE HOLD. JUST TRYING TO ENLIGHTEN THIS PERSON TO OTHER WAYS OF DEVELOPING BONSAI.
THE POMEGRANATE SEEDS WILL BE ABOUT 2 YEARS OLD BEFORE THEY ARE USEABLE.
I HAVE ALMOST 200 TREES AT VARIOUS STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT. I THINK MANY BONSAI PEOPLE DO. IT IS PARTIALLY DUE TO THE FACT, I GET IMPATIENT WAITING FOR ANY ONE TREE TO DEVLOP INTO WORTHWHILE BONSAI MATERIAL
SteveW
Long Island NY