Old 04-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Default [IBC] Japanese Maple foliage problem

Hi all,

recently received another Japanese Maple through the
post, the Deshojo variety. Unfortunately, due to our
Easter holidays here in Greece, it arrived with a
large delay and as a result most of its foliage is
destroyed or half destroyed. The red leaves have
turned black or have black edges. However, the trunk
and the branches look fine.

Now I have watered it well and I will let it recover
but it looks like it will take some time.
Is it wise to remove the half-black leaves ?

What else can I do to aid its recovery ?

many thanks
Dimitris

http://mail.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-05-2005, 10:02 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Note to the group: the Eastern Easter was just last Sunday, May 1st, not a
month ago like the Western Easter.

Dimitris

I wouldn't remove any leaves. Any chlorophyl that remains in the
leaves will help the tree recover and it will drop what it doesn't need eventually.
Actually as the tree recovers and it pushes new leaves they will push off the
damaged ones.

I would say, however, that like Florida, I think Japanese Maples will
be a struggle in Greece,

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

In a message dated 5/4/2005 4:18:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

Recently received another Japanese Maple through the
post, the Deshojo variety. Unfortunately, due to our
Easter holidays here in Greece, it arrived with a
large delay and as a result most of its foliage is
destroyed or half destroyed. The red leaves have
turned black or have black edges. However, the trunk
and the branches look fine.

Now I have watered it well and I will let it recover
but it looks like it will take some time.
Is it wise to remove the half-black leaves?

What else can I do to aid its recovery?

many thanks
Dimitris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Dimitrios Kalderis wrote:
Hi all,

recently received another Japanese Maple through the
post, the Deshojo variety. Unfortunately, due to our
Easter holidays here in Greece, it arrived with a
large delay and as a result most of its foliage is
destroyed or half destroyed. The red leaves have
turned black or have black edges. However, the trunk
and the branches look fine.

Now I have watered it well and I will let it recover
but it looks like it will take some time.
Is it wise to remove the half-black leaves ?

_I_ would -- just in case the black is from a fungus. Remove and destroy.

What else can I do to aid its recovery ?

Keep it out of your Greek sun -- and wind. Only water when the soil
begins to dry out an inch below the surface. A dose of fertilizer
probably won't hurt next week.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages
no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson