Old 23-05-2005, 01:43 PM
Jim Stone

Default [IBC] Wrightia religiosa

Billy,

These are pretty tough trees, all your questions below are almost
rhetorical! ;^)

I have a couple of questions about a Wrightria religiosa that I got from Jim
Smith (Vero Beach, FL) a few years ago.
It has a 2 inch trunk base, it is 14 inches high and a little wider. It
is in a 12 inch bulb pan that is 6 inches deep.
When do you think is the best time of year for me to move it to a
Bonsai pot?

Summer... I've repotted mine in May, August, November, January... Bare-rooted
and chopped back drastically. I pretty much have to do mine twice a year- they
grow like willows.

You can defoliate as well to ease the stress, although not necessary.

Roots will sprout so interesting roots are good for cuttings.

How shallow a pot do you think I can get away with?

They do like water so I would say as deep as you can stand- or adjust your
watering schedule accordingly. I've seen shohin in some fairly shallow pots.
The more pertinent is probalby how often do you want to root prune and repot?

What soil would you use?

I use a standard "tropical mix"- ~50 bark, ~50 other stuff. I've grown some in
straight haydite, recycled soil , you name it- not very fussy...

Jim Stone
TX Zone 8b

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++