Old 17-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Hung Le

Default [IBC] Please help with Wrightia Religiosa

Hi All,
I recently bought two wrightia religiosa (double flowers). I let them
accustom to the new environment but the root ball is noticeable packed
which take water to long to soak into root zone. The new buds just very
strong- it is one of the nice thing about this plant. I know to wait for
the buds to mature and i just got them in a month don't want to make them
learning to survive. My question to anyone with experience on Wrightia is
I live in Virginia, Can I wait until Fall to repot? I just afraid not
enough time for root growth before taking them into the house for winter.
Just don't like to stress them out. Or should I put them in bigger pot and
more soil until next Spring? As I said before root zone is packed therefore
put into bigger pot is not the best thing because water might not penetrate
but running into the soil and out. I think ?
I know Jerry Meislik has alot experience with water jasmine. I hope he
would answer my question. I have both single flowers (seedlings) and double
flowers.
Double flowers one consider as rare!
Thank you all for any advices
Hung Le Virginia- Zone 7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-08-2003, 02:42 PM
Jerry Meislik

Huang Le.
You can repot your Wrightias now if they are healthy. In your zone you still
have several months of hot weather to allow the plants to grow before they
defoliated in a while and that they are growing strongly.
Remove all the bad soil and use fresh new bonsai soil. Remove about half of
the over long roots in the process and the trees should do very well.
Ps where did you get your Wrightias?
I hope this helps.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 17-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Barb

Morning,
As a rank newbie, would ya'll please use the common names of plants,
please.. I have no idea of what ort of plants you are talkinf about when you
use the name like this one..'Wrightia Religiosa" Sounds like something
religious..lol..
manythanks,
Barb
Bonsai Lady

Old 17-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Morning,
As a rank newbie, would ya'll please use the common names of

plants,
please.. I have no idea of what ort of plants you are talkinf

about when you
use the name like this one..'Wrightia Religiosa" Sounds like

something
religious..lol..
manythanks,
Barb
Bonsai Lady

Barb, at first blush this would sound like a good idea.

HOWEVER, too many plants have the same common name, or are called
one thing in New York and something else entirely in Florida (or
Bangkok ;-). There is only ONE plant with the name Wrightia
religiosa (note the small "r") so there is no possibility of
mixing it up. Some trees have no common name. This one appears
to be a tropical from Malaysia. Some call it "water jasmine" --
though it is NOT even closely related to the jasmines.

It IS, probably, a good idea to use the Latin (scientific -- not
all of the words are Latinized) name as well as a common name.

There are others, but I find the Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant
Names: Common and Botanical" to be a great help -- both in
identifying plants whose scientific names I don't know, and in
sorting out plants which have the same common names, but actually
are 5-6 different plants. "Ironwood" comes to mind.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Jerry Meislik

Barb,
The Wrightia is also called the Water Jasmine as a common name.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Bart Thomas

HOWEVER, too many plants have the same common name, or are called
one thing in New York and something else entirely in Florida (or
Bangkok ;-). There is only ONE plant with the name Wrightia
religiosa (note the small "r") so there is no possibility of
mixing it up. Some trees have no common name. This one appears
to be a tropical from Malaysia. Some call it "water jasmine" --
though it is NOT even closely related to the jasmines.

It IS, probably, a good idea to use the Latin (scientific -- not
all of the words are Latinized) name as well as a common name.

There are others, but I find the Hutchinson Dictionary of Plant
Names: Common and Botanical" to be a great help -- both in
identifying plants whose scientific names I don't know, and in
sorting out plants which have the same common names, but actually
are 5-6 different plants. "Ironwood" comes to mind.

You might also think of "Buttonwood". The New York Stock Exchange was
founded under a buttonwood growing in Manhattan. Most certainly NOT
conocarpus.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Hung Le

In a message dated 8/17/03 9:22:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

You can repot your Wrightias now if they are healthy. In your zone you
still
have several months of hot weather to allow the plants to grow before they
defoliated in a while and that they are growing strongly.
Remove all the bad soil and use fresh new bonsai soil. Remove about half of
the over long roots in the process and the trees should do very well.
Ps where did you get your Wrightias?
I hope this helps.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5

Mr Meislik
My friend who bought the two wrightia religiosa-double flowers
(water-jasmine) for me. If you are interested in the source i can find out when he getting
back from Thailand.
The wrightia was shipped in a six inches container which branches recently
cut back. The base is approximately about a little smaller than thumb size.
Right now they have new buds comimg out very healthy, should i repot them now
or waiting for the new bud to mature first then repot ?
Thank you for your help
Hung Le Virginia zone 7

Old 19-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Jerry Meislik

Hung Le,
If the Wrightia was only recently potted then I would not pot it again.
Allow it to grow out untouched. You can repot next spring.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/