Old 02-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Marty Haber

Lynn,
Sorry we missed each other at the convention. I was busy helping Hal
Mahoney prepare for his workshop. In fact, I hardly had room for my luggage
in my car: the trunk was loaded with his paraphenalia! Did you notice that
large rock "Megalopolis" standing all by itself in the display area? That
also was Hal's, altho mislabeled as "Club Moss" in the directory. Those
rocks also went home in my car!
So you can see that I was pretty busy. There were 10 people from Long
Island BS, and we also found Carol Schroeder, a former LI member, now living
in Columbia, MD. I also found myself sitting next to George Heffelfinger on
the bus going out to the Arboretum. I believe he's President of ABS and
lives in Vancouver. We exchanged stories and had a good chat.
If you ever get to NY, be sure and come to visit.
Marty
Old 02-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Pauline Muth

Hi Geroge is a past president...Roger Case is current

Old 02-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Lynn Boyd

Y'all:
Now we are getting some responses that indicate the writer's position
in bonsai.
So many of IBC are experienced bonsaists for periods of over 30 years
to just a
bit under. These are people who could and do themselves teach and
develop the
bonsai world - if only to friends, neighbors and IBC newbies. A
convention hopefully
- but rarely- could supply their advanced and skillfully formed
abilities and skills.

It concerns me that so much disappointment is handed out and so
little appreciation that would encourage less experienced first convention
(or tenth, even) attending folks.
No one can expect their own desires and needs to form the basis of
developing such a
large community of bonsaists. At some time everyone reaches a point where
little is taught to them - but much is the development of their own creative
abilities and insights. Why not recall a time when some boring (sure I get
that, too) lecture or demo is behind you and go on to another "area,
related" where you may be inspired or can discover. I cannot sit and
be inspired by known bonsai demos always, so I walked off and discovered
Kusamono.
wow! - I had found something interesting for my stature in this storm of
experiences.

I walked into the room to see endeared Saburo Kato, frail but
focused, sitting to watch and advise. Not a chair was empty and
immediately Mrs. Kato stood, bowed and almost insisted I take Her chair! -
I would not, so she stood and we tried to talk awhile. Believe me, I
treasure these old Japanese leaders and am touched by their grace. I
couldn't get room in the actual work space so I wandered and watched - many
of us did. A group of lovely young Japanese women were helping a great
number of students individually.
I have grown small flowers always, have liked these companions for my
bonsai, but this process of theirs was new to me, added new dimensions,
unknown handling, to me. Some attenders were obviously experienced
bonsaists who dropped in and stayed to watch as
I did. One does not sit and wait for their wishes to be filled and pout
their disappointment.

I hope our newbees profit from the experienced and still searching
folks assembled on IBC, but hope they also see that their critiques of
conventions, when negative, are a result of a continuing desire and drive
to improve from their Personal standpoint.
On their side - if it does improve conventions the gripes may be
worthwhile, but had best be weighed for the amount of needs based upon
correlating such a huge presentation for such an extensive spread of
World-attending experiences, countries, and needs.
It would be pleasant to hear some more details - positively !

I am not going into how I hate running up and down levels of stairs
in huge, spendy hotels, why never is there a "NOTE LIST" where one can
leave a message to find someone they are eager to meet, and - oh, forget
it! I just love meeting bonsai folks if the lectures and demos get fit for
a nap - I go looking. Nothing like sharing experiences. (good & bad
Lynn

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-06-2005, 04:08 AM
Craig Cowing

On Jun 2, 2005, at 2:20 PM, Lynn Boyd wrote:

Y'all:
Now we are getting some responses that indicate the writer's
position in bonsai.
So many of IBC are experienced bonsaists for periods of over 30
years to just a
bit under. These are people who could and do themselves teach
and develop the
bonsai world - if only to friends, neighbors and IBC newbies. A
convention hopefully
- but rarely- could supply their advanced and skillfully formed
abilities and skills.

It concerns me that so much disappointment is handed out and so
little appreciation that would encourage less experienced first
convention (or tenth, even) attending folks.

snip
It would be pleasant to hear some more details - positively !

I am not going into how I hate running up and down levels of
stairs in huge, spendy hotels, why never is there a "NOTE LIST" where
one can leave a message to find someone they are eager to meet, and -
oh, forget it! I just love meeting bonsai folks if the lectures and
demos get fit for a nap - I go looking. Nothing like sharing
experiences. (good & bad
Lynn

Lynn:
I thought I had started out with the positive things about the
convention but maybe that didn't come through. There was a tremendous
amount of value in going to the convention as I had described. Not
everything was perfectly organized, but that is to be expected. Overall
it was a very positive experience for both of us.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++