Old 25-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] DC do

Hope everyone has a great time, he said enviously, at the
big bonsai bash in Washington DC this weekend.

Wish I hadn't had to cancel. :-( Hoist one for me, please.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-05-2005, 08:22 PM
elize marie mann

Finished packing, flying out at the crack of dawn.
Sure will take one or two...in your honour.
elize
Hope everyone has a great time, he said enviously, at the big bonsai bash
in Washington DC this weekend.

Wish I hadn't had to cancel. :-( Hoist one for me, please.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature encourages no
looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 25-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Craig Cowing

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Lewis"
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:10 PM

We'll be there Friday volunteering with the raffle setup. We'll be
there for the whole thing except for the sunday banquet.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Anita Hawkins

Jim Lewis wrote:
Hope everyone has a great time, he said enviously, at the big bonsai
bash in Washington DC this weekend.

We intend to! Do we have an official (or even unofficial) IBC meet-up
time/date? We already know the location And I might point out, one
of the finest beer bars in all the world (literally the world's
largest selection, they claim), the Brickskeller, is walking distance
(longish) from the hotel...

Wish I hadn't had to cancel. :-( Hoist one for me, please.

Dear Jim, we will certainly do that! Maybe even several, to make up
for your not being there yourself

Best to you and Jackie and all the critters,
Anita

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Jim Lewis

Anita Hawkins wrote:
Jim Lewis wrote:

Hope everyone has a great time, he said enviously, at the big bonsai
bash in Washington DC this weekend.

We intend to! Do we have an official (or even unofficial) IBC meet-up
time/date?

It's usually 5 p.,m. every evening at the downstairs bar.
(assuming there is one downstairs) ;-)

We already know the location And I might point out, one of
the finest beer bars in all the world (literally the world's largest
selection, they claim), the Brickskeller, is walking distance (longish)
from the hotel...

OH! Do you know how bad THAT makes me feel ??!! ;-)

Wish I hadn't had to cancel. :-( Hoist one for me, please.

Dear Jim, we will certainly do that! Maybe even several, to make up for
your not being there yourself

I can taste them now . . . Enjoy 'em.

Best to you and Jackie and all the critters,
Anita

Thanks. Need to send you pics of the 3 newest critters --
Beau Brummel, Charles Dickens, and Little Nell.

Old 26-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Bill Neff

Amen to what Jim said. Hoist one for all us stuck at home or elsewhere.
The wife has a business trip to D.C. next weekend & I could have gone along
for the price of a plane ticket. Initially I was excited Yippee same weekend
as the big bonsai shindig until I looked at the calendar again. So I'm
staying at home pouting!

Have fun!

Bill Neff
NE Kansas

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2005, 03:39 AM
Craig Cowing

On May 25, 2005, at 6:26 PM, Anita Hawkins wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:
Hope everyone has a great time, he said enviously, at the big bonsai
bash in Washington DC this weekend.

We intend to! Do we have an official (or even unofficial) IBC meet-up
time/date? We already know the location And I might point out, one
of the finest beer bars in all the world (literally the world's
largest selection, they claim), the Brickskeller, is walking distance
(longish) from the hotel...

Wish I hadn't had to cancel. :-( Hoist one for me, please.

Dear Jim, we will certainly do that! Maybe even several, to make up
for your not being there yourself

Best to you and Jackie and all the critters,
Anita

How much should we rub it in? Hehehehehe.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-05-2005, 03:52 AM

I, unfortunately, will not be in DC for the conference. I used to live in the Bethesda, MD area. So, if anyone has the time, the best place for mussels and other wonderful shellfish with plenty to drink is "Bertha's Mussels" near the wharf in Baltimore. It has been a long time since I've been there but I would hope that it is still there. Also, in DC, there is the ever popular "Hawk and Dove" on Pennsylvania Ave. near the Capital. And one of the best Irish bars around "The Dubliner" on Capital street(I forget) somewhere near, of course, the Capital.

Oh, and of course there are the bonsai.

Jerry
Chicago, IL
Zone 5b/Sunset 39

Old 29-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Nina

Jim Lewis wrote:
Hoist one for me, please.

You bet we did, Jim. Unfortunately, the best we could do was Sam
Adams.....

The bonsai convention was great fun on Saturday, with a remarkable
number of IBC'ers in attendance. I was a little disappointed that the
exhibit contained more rocks than trees- is this because of quarantine
restrictions? I got an earful from everybody about quarantine
restrictions!!!!! Apparently a carload of Canadian trees were stopped
at the border....

Here's the hot scoop on pots (please pass this news on to Reiner):
Pink is the new blue. I was told by a pot dealer that pink is very
popular now in Japan, but wasn't selling very well in the US.

Nina, who bought a pot of pale salmon pink and is very happy with it.

Old 29-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Jim Lewis

Nina wrote:
Jim Lewis wrote:

Hoist one for me, please.

You bet we did, Jim. Unfortunately, the best we could do was Sam
Adams.....

Well, it's OK. There's a couple of SA summer ale in my
fridge right now.

The bonsai convention was great fun on Saturday, with a remarkable
number of IBC'ers in attendance. I was a little disappointed that the
exhibit contained more rocks than trees- is this because of quarantine
restrictions? I got an earful from everybody about quarantine
restrictions!!!!! Apparently a carload of Canadian trees were stopped
at the border....

Quarantine for what? Canadian trees? Reiner's? John B's?

Here's the hot scoop on pots (please pass this news on to Reiner):
Pink is the new blue. I was told by a pot dealer that pink is very
popular now in Japan, but wasn't selling very well in the US.

Isn't Reiner there?

Nina, who bought a pot of pale salmon pink and is very happy with it.

A little pot, I assume?

If an old gal named Helen Grissett says hi, I asked her to. :-)

Wish I wuz there. :-( Have another.

Old 30-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Reiner Goebel

Nina wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:
Hoist one for me, please.

You bet we did, Jim. Unfortunately, the best we could do was Sam
Adams.....

You could do worse than that. It's available here, and I occasionally
buy it as a special treat. It's a great beer.

The bonsai convention was great fun on Saturday, with a remarkable
number of IBC'ers in attendance. I was a little disappointed that the
exhibit contained more rocks than trees- is this because of quarantine
restrictions? I got an earful from everybody about quarantine
restrictions!!!!!

Really? They make perfect sense to me.

Gotta stop them al-Qaida microbes from entering GOC. Of course, the real
intent is to cut out competition from Canadian bonsai. ;-)

I understand there are plans for installing a continent-wide underground
barrier to keep worms from crossing the border. 'They' haven't quite
figured out yet what to do about Canadian mosquitoes crossing the border
for bloodier pastures. ;-)

Pretty soon the only thing that will be allowed to cross the longest
hitherto undefended border in a southerly direction will be Canadian oil
and gas.

Here's the hot scoop on pots (please pass this news on to Reiner):

John Biel did. ;-)

Pink is the new blue. I was told by a pot dealer that pink is very
popular now in Japan, but wasn't selling very well in the US.

Well, Nina, you should have been suspicious of a dealer with an
inventory of pink pots feeding you that line. ;-)

Nina, who bought a pot of pale salmon pink and is very happy with it.

That's the main thing. Why not show it on the pot gallery? With a red
pine in it, maybe? ;-)

Reiner
Old 30-05-2005, 07:39 AM
Reiner Goebel

Jim Lewis wrote:

Quarantine for what? Canadian trees? Reiner's? John B's?

Yes.

We have been identified by the Department of Internal Security (founded
in 1984 by one G. O.) as subversive bonsai growers. And that even though
not a single one of our trees is planted in a pinko pot! Although some
are in brown pots. ;-)

Geez, it's really difficult to stay away from controversial colours. ;-)

In my defense, I can say that I have (or had) a (one) red pot, several
pots that could pass for white, and lots that are blue. ;-) But that
don't seem to count for nothing. ;-))

Here's the hot scoop on pots (please pass this news on to Reiner):
Pink is the new blue. I was told by a pot dealer that pink is very
popular now in Japan, but wasn't selling very well in the US.

Isn't Reiner there?

No. He is slugging it out in TO against voracious Canadian mosquitoes,
not to mention our al-Qaida microbes. ;-)

Nina, who bought a pot of pale salmon pink and is very happy with it.

A little pot, I assume?

One would hope. ;-) A _big_ pink pot might attract the attention of the
Department of Internal Insecurity.

Reiner

Reiner
Old 02-06-2005, 03:42 AM
Craig Cowing

On May 29, 2005, at 1:09 PM, Nina wrote:

Jim Lewis wrote:
Hoist one for me, please.

You bet we did, Jim. Unfortunately, the best we could do was Sam
Adams.....

The bonsai convention was great fun on Saturday, with a remarkable
number of IBC'ers in attendance. I was a little disappointed that the
exhibit contained more rocks than trees- is this because of quarantine
restrictions? snip

Nina, who bought a pot of pale salmon pink and is very happy with it.

Well, I'll respond since I just got back and am wide awake. Apparently
it wasn't just me who felt that the wording of the invitation to submit
trees was a bit snooty. I am sure it wasn't intended to be that way,
but I got the impression (and so did a couple of others) that only
world class trees would be even considered. So, I didn't bother since I
don't have any world class trees. After seeing some of the trees that
were in the exhibit (and mind you, there were a number of world-class
trees in the exhibit) I could have had a couple in the exhibit that
were worthy. Some may recall that the deadline for submitting stones
(not sure about trees) was extended because they didn't have enough. I
also heard (won't say the source) that individuals were being called at
the last minute to submit trees because they didn't have enough.

I realize they didn't want to sort through pics of mallsai, but the
invitation could have been a bit more generous.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Lynn Boyd

From Craig Cowing:

[...]

---------------------------

Craig, - I saw you hard at work a few times, while Anita was taking in
the experts at some bonsai procedures as seriously as you were at crew
work..

You wrote -Re your tree invitation, etc.(snip)---- I won't repeat -since we
are aware.

I think it rather to be expected as questionable, as I consider it
an experience similar to selecting art work for displays or evaluating
competitions - always a problem.
Possibly they want to save contestants disappointments and costs of
professional photos and/or shipment costs.
Imagine how it feels to be unselected and paying any of those costs.
Then the
complaints that discourage the dead-tired convention workers (& judges)
when it finishes.
It has provided you with experience - now you have confidence you can do
it. You didn't have before. It's a learning adventure so many ways to face
it, - I know -been there.

Haven't you noticed often that concise, business-like writing lacks
personal warmth. I doubt the atmosphere was "snooty", purposefully, too.
Perhaps the applying person is one who is usually humble or unsure and
builds that assumption.

Put those trees you feel possible on the forum; Please!! - and we
likely are going to make you feel better! I don't doubt you lean to
humbleness,- so you hesitated unneedfully.

My personal reaction to the event was of speechless amazement at the
work of crews - it would take me a week of learning just to memorize the
site map, and I found myself lost more than once - but never without some
tree or rock nearby to gaze at - or another lost soul to chat with. New
friends were
everywhere, from everywhere, all busily heading for some event or display.
I think it was somewhere around 800 registered, looked like more what with
daily registrations still coming in.

I am very proud of our World convention, 4 years of sweat and angst
among those putting it together was a high cost. I heard a few of their
statements, too, - oddly they were complaining themselves- for what seemed
to me
an impossible perfection in the range of their duties. I thought they were
too high in their own expectations. They wanted the utmost, too, and were
no
more than humans on a grand race with time! One has to wear their shoes and
gasp.

I do have one complaint - I had hoped to meet Iris, and Marty, and
never found either one in the crowds - can't blame anyone for that, I guess.
Where were you two?

The vendors !! were unbelievable with their displays. I learned a lot
just hanging-out some in that area, but didn't get to our Dale Cochoy's
with his busy activity He was always on the run. They must be one
band of beat people now - long days they had with loaded, wonderful stuff
and inspiring tools. Hope they beat their costs much worthwhile and my
groceries
are enough for awhile.

The lectures on rocks were the best yet I've enjoyed- drew good
reactions. And, No doubt in my mind, the bonsai procedures were worth a
convention with Nothing else - if it had to be. I would wish for these to
be on a permanent media to watch and re-watch. Exchanges were interesting
between audience and experts, here. Some great, unusual concentration.

Not a descriptive lot yet coming to list of a really vastly important
Bonsai World
event, so I hope I've just unlocked a gate for others to come on with their
visions and thoughts. It is encouraging to visualize & know of the extent
and high
respect evident for this art form - or hobby.
Impressiveness is actually present in bonsai people, their sincere,
studious attitudes, their realization of the value of their choice of
interest during so many hours- to years.
I found it uplifting in just relaxing relief from the usual run of news
these
days to dedicate time to something so revered, so beautiful in concept and
so
personally sustained - and so persistant in that aged presence among us.

I could surely attempt one of those respectful Japanese bows to the
Convention staff and crews.
Lynn

Lynn boyd
Oregon, USA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Marty Haber

Nina - I missed you at the show. You must have been in one of your
disguises.
My view of the convention differs a bit from yours. From where I sit, it
was a fiasco. At the beginning, there were 3 forest demos in a row, all
teaching the same principles. The sound system was terrible, the hall was
too big, and the layout of the convention required roller skates to get from
ballroom to the end of the workshop rooms. I haven't yet mentioned the
meals, because food is expected to be inconsequential in appraising such
affairs; but .... I'm sure the diet in a Russian Gulag was better than what
we got.
On the good side, I bumped into some old friends and met some interesting
new people. I guess that's the basic purpose of conventions; so I'll have
to retract all I said and say:"I'm sorry".