Old 04-06-2005, 01:45 AM
Gordon Williams

Default [IBC] elm tree sickness

Hi All,

I have a problem with the Chinese Elm that I asked about a couple of months
ago. When I got it the leaves were just opening. It had been potted with a
sandy clay like ball around the base of the trunk with bonsai soil around
the outside. The clay soil was staying wet while the bonsai soil was dry. I
repotted it shortly after I got it and removed the soil that was caked round
the root ball. It grew strongly for several weeks putting on a lot of new
growth. Then things started to go off. The new leaves at the tips of the
branches started to wilt and the leaves at the base started to yellow and
fall. That was about 3 weeks ago. Things started to get a bit better with
new leaves forming, but now they are worse than ever.

This is a picture of the leaves. You can see the yellow and missing leaves
at the base of the branches. There is no glossiness on the green leaves.
http://www.cyberus.ca/~g_will/Elm/elm%20leaves.htm

Is this a symptom of over water/ under water or a fungus of some sort. I
have a pick in the soil and test for dampness. We had a long period of rain
and it is now just drying out after about a week. The plant gets 1 1/2
hours of direct sun (1:30 to 3pm) with 1/8 dappled sun before and shade
after. The soil is course and well draining, but it takes quite a while for
it to dry. The pot is 14"x10"x2".

I have just given it a very good watering letting the water run through the
soil for 3-4 minutes.

Any ideas to get the tree back in shape?

Gordon Williams
Ottawa, Canada

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++