Old 08-06-2005, 03:29 AM
Sue Marsh

Default [IBC] Rock Plantings on featherstone

Hi all-
BTW, thanks for the great replies on the bonsai in japanese characters-I was
able to finish my painting the way I wanted to! Great!

So, I found another use for these 50 cuttigns I have (no joke either)... I
bought apiece of feather stone (feather rock?) and used a nail, chisel, and
a dremel tool to carve out some planting spots, just waiting to figure out
which cuttings I want in it (slow process).

I have two questions really. #1 has anyone used the featherstone for rock
plantings? Any suggestions for planting/securing? I'll be using Portulacaria
cuttings, a few months old (the roots anyhow)... #2 I can't seem to find
more than one or two pics of rock plantings, anyone know of a good
book/website that has detailed pics of some?

And anyother hints, tips, advice, or stories on rock plantings owuld be
appreciated! it's fun carving out the rocks (although I keep managing to
make them look like faces, you know, two eye holes and a mouth... sigh..),
and it gives me a use for all these cuttings besides sticking them in pots
and waiting.....

Susan L. Marsh

http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 08-06-2005, 04:25 AM
Robert J. Baran

Please see the three bottom photos on this page
http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/Elephant.html for a cascade Portulacaria I
had in a pumice stone block. Also, for other inspiration, see the
five-elm rock planting in the second photo from the bottom here
http://www.phoenixbonsai.com/LeroysTrees.html.

Plant the Portulacaria cuttings in the carved holes using a
not-too-coarse soil mix and don't shake the cuttings about too much for
several weeks. They will "take" and their little roots will infiltrate
the rock.

Robert J. Baran
outside of Kingman, AZ
Sunset Zone 10,
soon to be 2A/2B
outside of Colorado Springs, CO

(BTW, The cascade has traded hands and will be staying in the Kingman
area, resting comfortably on a file cabinet right next to a south facing
and bright window.)

Old 08-06-2005, 04:35 AM
Roger Snipes

Sue,

You might want to get 'Forest, Rock Planting & Ezo Spruce Bonsai' by Saburo
Kato. It is available from Stone Lantern, and I'm pretty sure that the ABS
and BCI book services will have it as well.

Regards,
Roger Snipes, Spokane, WA. Zone 5ish

more than one or two pics of rock plantings, anyone know of a good
book/website that has detailed pics of some?

And anyother hints, tips, advice, or stories on rock plantings owuld be
appreciated!

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Getting prepped for Mass Plantings of Bamboos.. suggestions and advice??? RainLover Bamboo 6 11-03-2005 08:25 PM
eat more rock, aka rock rocks! twisted IRONy Australia 0 24-11-2003 10:59 AM
dry plantings??? Lee Gardening 2 04-09-2003 09:23 PM
Help with dune/sand plantings Sherri Gardening 2 03-09-2003 12:12 PM
How much water for new plantings? chirisophus Gardening 1 05-07-2003 06:20 AM