Old 23-06-2005, 02:31 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] IBC website and gallery

If you haven't visited to see the new look and feel the new
system on www.internetbonsaiclub.org you should hie yourself
over there and look around.

We (using the term very loosely where _I_ am concerned) have
now ironed out all/most/many of the bugs (including those
that prevented folks from signing on), the pictures are all
back, it's easier than ever to post a picture, and it seems
to be ready for prime time.

So, go on over and take a look.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - When we
see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
use it with love and respect - Aldo Leopold - A Sand County
Almanac

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2005, 02:26 AM
sam crowell

I have a Schefflera that is starting to show some meager promise. I am
considering cutting off the main stem above a point where it has several
nice side branches. I am curious if I will get new growth from the cut, or
will it just die back? Luckily my design options will allow me to remove
this stem or leave it. Leaving it will just mean a somewhat unsightly plant
for a few more years.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2005, 02:51 AM
Roger Snipes

Sam,

Schefflera will bud out from where ever you cut, so chop away! Defoliation
will also promote buds to pop in various places. You can't always count on
buds breaking back very far past where you cut though, so it is best to be
sure and cut back to a point where you want some branching, or even a little
farther, and then work with the new shoots.

Regards,
Roger Snipes, Spokane, WA. USA
Zone 5ish

Old 25-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Alan Walker

My experience has been that this is not always the case. I have
had shefflera branches fail to bud out when all the foliage was
cut off, but usually it works.
Alan Walker

Old 25-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Jim Lewis

sam crowell wrote:
I have a Schefflera that is starting to show some meager promise. I am
considering cutting off the main stem above a point where it has several
nice side branches. I am curious if I will get new growth from the cut,
or will it just die back? Luckily my design options will allow me to
remove this stem or leave it. Leaving it will just mean a somewhat
unsightly plant for a few more years.

Do they bud back? Does Subway have subs?

Twenty years ago, our Doberman Pinscher ATE a large (4-foot)
potted Schefflera we had growing inside (for some
unfathomable reason; maybe my mother gave it to us). It was
shredded, stems broken and leaves scattered throughout the
den. She left three 5-inch stubs in the pot.

When last seen a month or so ago, the Shefflera was almost 1
foot in diameter (all three stems), 40 feet tall, and
growing in front of my daughter's house in St. Pete Beach, FL.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature