Old 26-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Sue Marsh

variegated Portulacaria might make a good bonsai. I find the plain green
one a
trifle boring.

Ya, The ones I've seen pictures of are very boring personally. My bonsai
buddy that does them does a lot of combo styles -cascade/windswept, etc...
so none of his are boring. Only one formal upright and ok... that one is
boring LOL. I'll have to sneak over and take pics of some of his and post
them one day... They make very interesting gnarled roots and trunks..

I've got a few variegated Portulacaria afra cuttings I got at Home
Depot.

That will take a few years to become a bonsai. Putting them in the
ground
is a good idea while you work with something more suitable.

LOL Everything I have, with one exception, is a cutting of some sort. All of
mine are pre-bonsai! If I stuck everything in the ground that wasn't ready
to be bonsai'd my patio would be empty LOL. I told my bonsai buddy to give
me all the cuttings, and I'll give them back in a few years when they are
trees . The one bonsai tree I do have was decimated by a goat but came
back like nuts-every four weeks I'm taking it back for advice because it's
growing like crazy! It's my only bonsai though. I find it great how we're
all different in what we work with . And I think I'll stick half the
variegated ones in the ground and see what happens in a month

Iris

Keep the good advice and opinions coming! I love it!

Susan L. Marsh
www.susanszoocrew.com

http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++