Old 25-06-2005, 04:47 PM
Sue Marsh

Default [IBC] Variegated question

Anybody tried bonsai with variegated plants? Specifically I've got a few
variegated Portulcaria afra' cuttings I got at Home Depot. I've been
subsequently told variegated plants have a tougher time as bonsai as the
lack of chlorophyll makes life tough enough for them, and that the reduced
leaf surface of bonsai makes it even harder. Makes sense, and these guys
don' get to be in full sun like their brethern. Thoughts?

PS Home Depot has no clue how to take care of Portulcarias! They are with
the cacti, which is true, but man they needed water... they don't quite do
as well completely dried and shriveled like the cacti!

http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/o...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2005, 05:23 PM
Robert J. Baran

I had a variegated cascade made from a Home Depot-type rooted cutting.
It took about 8 years to grow down to about 12+ inches hanging with
numerous side branches. I have a couple of small cuttings from that one
now. Variegated P. afra definitely grows slower than the other types.
With cascading variegated the branches seem to be thinner and more
brittle. They can take a few hours direct sun -- Arizona, we're talking
here.

The thin pale edge of lavendar on pale cream new buds is wonderful
against the waxy very pale green outer and greener inner surface of the
mature leaves. Rare were the begining side branches which at first were
just cream-colored. I hoped that they might be the start of an albino
sport, but, alas, green eventually developed on them.

And, yes, Home Depot-type establishments seem to have no clue about
caring for P.afra. The 2-inch liner pots with rooted cuttings which
I've seem are often dehydrated if they've been on the shelf in the
garden center a while. P.afra (variegated or not) does need an
occasional drink, folks.

Cordially,

Robert J. Baran
outside of Kingman, AZ Sunset Zone 10
5 days away from outside of Colorado Springs, CO Sunset Zone 2A/2B

Old 25-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Carl Rosner

Here's a site to help: http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/portulacaria.html

Carl L. Rosner

Sue Marsh wrote:
Anybody tried bonsai with variegated plants? Specifically I've got a few
variegated Portulcaria afra' cuttings I got at Home Depot. I've been
subsequently told variegated plants have a tougher time as bonsai as the
lack of chlorophyll makes life tough enough for them, and that the reduced
leaf surface of bonsai makes it even harder. Makes sense, and these guys
don' get to be in full sun like their brethern. Thoughts?

PS Home Depot has no clue how to take care of Portulcarias! They are with
the cacti, which is true, but man they needed water... they don't quite do
as well completely dried and shriveled like the cacti!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

www.carlrosner.com
http://www.yessy.com/arteacher3725
http://rosner.becanz.net

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Craig Cowing

On Jun 25, 2005, at 11:47 AM, Sue Marsh wrote:

Anybody tried bonsai with variegated plants? Specifically I've got a
few variegated Portulcaria afra' cuttings I got at Home Depot. I've
been subsequently told variegated plants have a tougher time as bonsai
as the lack of chlorophyll makes life tough enough for them, and that
the reduced leaf surface of bonsai makes it even harder. Makes sense,
and these guys don' get to be in full sun like their brethern.
Thoughts?

I wouldn't recommend the variegated form of P. afra. It's a very weak
variety. The regular variety is an excellent choice and propagates
easily from cuttings.

PS Home Depot has no clue how to take care of Portulcarias! They are
with the cacti, which is true, but man they needed water... they don't
quite do as well completely dried and shriveled like the cacti!

They definitely need more water than cacti.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Sue Marsh

Variegated P. afra definitely grows slower than the other types.
So they grow slower huh? My regular P.afra cuttings are growing like weeds
right now (yea!)... seems to me that the variegated cuttings had more side
branches than regular cuttings of comparable size-but if you're saying they
grow slower, that would make sense. The variegated cuttings must be older
and have had more time to branch.

With cascading variegated the branches seem to be thinner and more
brittle.

Okay, that's good to know-these are stick like so I was thinking more like
an upright form.... or perhaps another rock planting.... if they are more
brittle we'll scratch cascade off the list-so wiring doesn't do as well on
these then?

They can take a few hours direct sun -- Arizona, we're talking here.

I'm in Florida so they'll roast if I don't watch it.... these guys sound
like they might be good candidates for going into the ground bed I'm
considering. My tomatoe plants have decided it's too hot for them so I'll
have a 5x5 foot area I could stick some P. afra cuttings for a month or two.
The ones I stuck amongst the dwarf sunflowers have awesome roots starting in
just three weeks!

The thin pale edge of lavendar on pale cream new buds is wonderful against
the waxy very pale green outer and greener inner surface of the mature
leaves. Rare were the begining side branches which at first were just
cream-colored. I hoped that they might be the start of an albino sport,
but, alas, green eventually developed on them.

An all albino would die with no chlorophyll, wouldn't it? I noticed the
purple edges, very pretty-I've got a couple of regular p.afra cuttings that
also have purple edges

And, yes, Home Depot-type establishments seem to have no clue about caring
for P.afra. The 2-inch liner pots with rooted cuttings which I've seem are
often dehydrated if they've been on the shelf in the garden center a while.
P.afra (variegated or not) does need an occasional drink, folks.

Those are exactly what I bought, the 2" ones. Matter of fact, one was
stuffed in a packing box full of cacti that there wasn't room for on the
display.. way underwatered! I said something to the cashier and she said
there's an independant dealer that takes care of the cacti/succulent display
and they aren't supposed to water them... nice huh?

Robert J. Baran

thanks so much for the info! I'm a giant sponge and will absorb everything
Got any pics of the 12" one?