Old 14-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Dana Lone Hill

Default [IBC] Intro from a returning newbie

After lurking around for about seven months I thought that I would
finally say hello.

"Hello!!" : )

Been with the IBC on and off now for six years, give or take, and I've
always enjoy the discussions, advice, and humor

My name is Dana Lone Hill. I'm a male and the reason I tell you that
is because most people named Dana are female's, at least they are in
the U.S. Why my parents named me Dana I don't know, but they did, and
I never could get a straight answer from them.

Anyway, I live in the lower SW corner of South Dakota (Zone 4) in a
town called Porcupine, it's the kind of small town where if you blink
as you drive by you'll miss it.

Lately, I've been thinking of moving because we're having something of
a population explosion here and I can't stand it.

Four hundred people is way too much for a town! : )

Currently, I don't have any trees in pots, however I do have several
trees and shrubs growing in the ground which I hope to put into pots
next year. Here they are in no particular order:

4 cold hardy rhododendrons. I don't remember their names right now
but I do have them written somewhere, they're supposed to be hardy
down to zone 4. I have a problem with one of them which I'll tell
about in a later post.

1 eastern cedar. Not too sure if it would make good bonsai's but I
thought I would give it a try.

4 Japanese black pines. Three are basically seedlings and the fourth
I might be able to do something with next year.

2 dawn redwoods. I've read that dawn redwoods can live in a zone 4
climate. If they make it thru a S.D. winter I guess they can survive
anywhere. If they do make it, I won't do anything with them for three
or four years so I can build up the trunk.

I use to have four redwoods but a rabbit decided two of them looked
like they would make a tasty snack and he/she went to town on them.
One isn't looking good but the other might make it.

That reminds me, anyone know of a good rabbit stew recipe? Or just a
recipe for rabbits in general? : )

1 Cotoneaster. I liked the shape of the trunk and bought it thinking
it might make a great bonsai.

2 san jose junipers, 1 nana, and two other junipers whose names I
can't recall right now but I thought would make great bonsai's in a
few years.

2 Amur maples. I would have had three but a late frost killed off
one. The other two are doing ok and hopefully will make interesting
bonsai's in four or five years.

I got two trees that grow locally that might be interesting bonsai's.
(At least I hope so) I don't know the names of the trees because,
well, I don't know what the tree is. : )

In the next week or so I'll take a picture and post it in the gallery
to see if someone can help me id the tree.

One is growing under a junked out truck and has a slightly twisted
trunk due to the fact it's trying to get sunlight. The other one is
growing next to my parents house and because it's so close to the
house it will have to be cut sooner or later so I thought that I would
dig it out either late fall or early next spring and replant it. I'm
not too sure if I should put them in a pot or if I should put it back
in the ground and let them grow some more. I'm planning to take a
picture and ask for advice.

I've also started three different types of pines from seeds during the
winter. Pinion, bristlecone, and Japanese red pine. I know, I know
it'll be years, probably decades, before anything can be done with
them.

I'm just thinking ahead and planning for my retirement. : )

The Pinion I'm not actually going to make into a bonsai but I thought
I would give the other two a shot when the time is right.

I guess that's about it. The boss is giving me mean looks so I guess
I better get back to work. : )

Great to be back !!

Dana Lone Hill

Zone 4

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 14-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Jim Lewis

Dana Lone Hill wrote:
[...]

Welcome back, Dana. Maybe your folks were fans of the
actor, Dana Andrews.

We've got 260,000 in lil' ol' Tallahassee now (and I -- who
live WAY out of town -- have a new neighbor less than 1/4
mile away) so I know how you feel. Don't think I'm gonna
plan to move anywhere near zone 4, though. Maybe zone 7.
Inland. Away from those %$#@ hurricanes.

Most of the plants you list are good bonsai candidates. You
probably shold get SOME of them in pots -- if only for the
practice.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis -
- This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

Old 15-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Nina

1 eastern cedar. Not too sure if it would make good bonsai's but I
thought I would give it a try.

They make good bonsai, or at the very least, they are good practice for
making good bonsai. Sometime soon I'll post a picture of "waves of
nausea"; hard to believe, but it's turning into a gorgeous tree.

1 Cotoneaster. I liked the shape of the trunk and bought it thinking
it might make a great bonsai.

They are good trees, but you should find out if you have fire blight in
your state. Cotoneasters are extremely sensitive to the pathogen. If
it's rare in your state, fine; if it's common, you'll need to use a
protective spray.

I got two trees that grow locally that might be interesting bonsai's.
(At least I hope so) I don't know the names of the trees because,
well, I don't know what the tree is. : )

When you find out, let us know. I'm always interested in native
species.

Nice to have you back!

Nina.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Registered User

Location: Miami, Florida, USA

Dont know how this work in the US. I think when you name a child you have to present it to the authorities get it's first ID and/or birth certificate. Whatever it is they do first when giving you a name.
Isn't it possible that after your parents saying they want to call you Dan the clerk writing up the data asked them if they would give you a second name, and they replied: "Dan alone"...and the stupid clerk wrote "Dana Lone" ....... Just say your name (Dana Lone) and see if it doesn't sound like it (Dan alone)?
They wouln'd be aware of the mistake and when they finally got the ID/registry/paperwork/birth certificate or whatever it was they noticed the wrong name on it .....
Well i'm not from here and may have been wandering and writing nonsense, or not?
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Lone Hill

Old 06-09-2005, 06:42 AM
Jono Elson

Maybe they heard Johnny Cash's "Sue" and Wanted a tough Son.
Kind Regards
Jono

--
Gene DC

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
-- --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 07-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Aquiles Marcano

Donīt worry, Dana Andrews was a male and quite succesful on the screen.

A. Marcano