Old 03-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Brent

Default Freezing Green Peppers

I just got them for 84 cents a pound (cdn) and bought about ten pounds, they
normally go for 1.99

Can I just dice them and put them in a ziploc bag?

Their primary use would be for spaghetti sauce and gumbos etc.

Thanks in advance

Old 03-08-2005, 12:39 AM
GA Pinhead

Brent:

That is what I do. I use the little snack bags and saw off what I need.
Put the snack bags into freezer bags. I do the same with japalenos.

John!

Old 03-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Brent

OK, I have done something similiar to my habaneros, slicing a sliver or so
off a frozen whole pod. They don't like the cool maritime canadian summers
here, so when I manage to get a few pods , I *treasure* them

Thanks..

Old 03-08-2005, 04:53 AM

Brent wrote:
I just got them for 84 cents a pound (cdn) and bought about ten pounds, they
normally go for 1.99

Can I just dice them and put them in a ziploc bag?

Their primary use would be for spaghetti sauce and gumbos etc.

Thanks in advance

Hi Brent

I have frozen peppers when they are cheap to use in casseroles, soups
etc and find them excellent. I cut them in half, scoop out the seeds,
free flow them for later use. However, when they defrost they are quite
soggy and soft so not so good in anything when you want them raw.

Sue

Old 03-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Brent

Yes, I can see that happening, but to add flavour to a winter gumbo, I think
I may take my chances...

Thanks
wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 04-08-2005, 06:17 AM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

When I have extra bell peppers, or any pepper for that matter, I clean and
dice them, and freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet. After they
are properly frozen they can be put in small plastic freezer bags. Done in
this way as little or as much pepper can be removed. Another benefit of
freezing them outside of a bag is that slightly freez-dry, and are less
soggy when thawed and used.
Regards, Ken.

--
All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the
shores of beautiful Puget Sound.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:46 PM
GA Pinhead

I clean and dice them, and freeze them in a single layer on a cookie sheet

Not in our freezers... Those cheap ginzu type knives DO work for
sawing off the right amount, texture is not a consideration when I use
them.

John!