Old 04-09-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Huge but green tomatoes?

One of my plants has quite a few very large tomatoes but they're not
ripening. They're so big their weight has them either sitting, or nearly
sitting on the ground. I'm afraid they're just going to split. Should I
pick them and hope that they get ripe sitting on the kitchen counter?

Old 04-09-2005, 09:46 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article NnsSe.1156$jh7.360@trndny06, wrote:

One of my plants has quite a few very large tomatoes but they're not
ripening. They're so big their weight has them either sitting, or nearly
sitting on the ground. I'm afraid they're just going to split. Should I
pick them and hope that they get ripe sitting on the kitchen counter?

Buy a package of knee hi nylons, gently sack up the tomato in it while
leaving it on the vine, then stake it up to support it.

I do that with melons growing on a trellis.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:29 PM
GA Pinhead

Fry em!

I actually do not like fried green tomatoes, but my wife loves them. Do
get them off the ground, I use survey tape for tying but used stockings
would be perfect for you. Hoist them up. If they have any color (other
than green) then they will ripen on the counter.

Our tomatoes are pretty much finished for the year in NE GA.

John!

Old 04-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Lynn

If you are afraid of losing them I would pick them and make chow or let them
ripen on the counter. maybe just tying them up will help them get off the
ground. If you leave them on the vine just keep an eye on them.

My plants went in late because of poor weather and are just now ripening.

--
Lynn

Old 06-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Displayed name

"Lynn" wrote in message
If you are afraid of losing them I would pick them and make chow or let

them
ripen on the counter. maybe just tying them up will help them get off the
ground. If you leave them on the vine just keep an eye on them.

My plants went in late because of poor weather and are just now ripening.

--
Lynn

wrote in message news:NnsSe.1156$jh7.360@trndny06...
One of my plants has quite a few very large tomatoes but they're not
ripening. They're so big their weight has them either sitting, or

nearly
sitting on the ground. I'm afraid they're just going to split. Should I
pick them and hope that they get ripe sitting on the kitchen counter?

We had also tomato which is over 1 kg per fruit (1.1 - 1.5) but all are
rippening. And inside a lot of "meat" and less seed, excellent, but less
resistant to diseases, so we had a lot of fight with diseases
(agrotechnical, chemical measures), and every second day need check for
diseases

Old 06-09-2005, 05:41 AM
Suze

Quoting OmManiPadmeOmelet:
In article NnsSe.1156$jh7.360@trndny06, wrote:

One of my plants has quite a few very large tomatoes but they're not
ripening. They're so big their weight has them either sitting, or nearly
sitting on the ground. I'm afraid they're just going to split. Should I
pick them and hope that they get ripe sitting on the kitchen counter?

Buy a package of knee hi nylons, gently sack up the tomato in it while
leaving it on the vine, then stake it up to support it.

I do that with melons growing on a trellis.

Yes, that works quite well. Also good for protecting the fruits from
birds.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:20 AM

GA pinhead:
I picked two of the monsters that had a slight orange/red tint and they seem
to be ripening nicely on the kitchen counter. The smaller tomatoes that
I've been picking from the container plants are much smaller but have a lot
of meat vs. seeds and are very tasty. I'm hoping these big boys are the
same.

belly:
Our nights have been quite cool. To try the black plastic idea I'll throw a
black garbage bag until one section of the plant and see what happens.

Thanks all.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:02 PM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article et,
belly wrote:

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 00:20:50 GMT in CnqTe.3530$tx.3086@trndny02,
graced the world with this thought:

I picked two of the monsters that had a slight orange/red tint and they seem
to be ripening nicely on the kitchen counter. The smaller tomatoes that
I've been picking from the container plants are much smaller but have a lot
of meat vs. seeds and are very tasty. I'm hoping these big boys are the
same.

Put 'em in a bag with a lemon or orange.

Bannana... ;-)
--
Om.