Old 03-11-2005, 04:44 AM
james

Default grafting a nectarine (espalier)

grafting a nectarine (espalier)

Hi,

I have an espaliered nectarine.
It is a simple shape consisting of a single vertical trunk and a series
of horisonlat branches.

Last year I lost a couple of the branches due to a hail storm.

I was hoping that this spring I would see new shoots come from the base
of the original (damaged) branches.
This has not been the case and would like to either graft some new
growth to the trunk with the aim to replace the branch, or if there is
some other way to stimulate new shoots I would be happy to do that.

Can anyone help me.

thanks

james

Old 04-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Steve

james wrote:
grafting a nectarine (espalier)

Hi,

I have an espaliered nectarine.
It is a simple shape consisting of a single vertical trunk and a series
of horisonlat branches.

Last year I lost a couple of the branches due to a hail storm.

I was hoping that this spring I would see new shoots come from the base
of the original (damaged) branches.
This has not been the case and would like to either graft some new
growth to the trunk with the aim to replace the branch, or if there is
some other way to stimulate new shoots I would be happy to do that.

Can anyone help me.

thanks

james

That's not an easy one. Grafting a nectarine is most successful with a
bud graft. You could try placing buds on the trunk where you need a
graft but I'm not so sure it will do what you want it to. Budding works
to make a new tree because you bend over then, later, cut off the old
top giving the graft a reason to grow. You can't do that in your
situation. If the bud grows at all, it will probably grow slowly and
stay smaller than the other branches.
I would cut the other branches back quite a bit (they will grow back).
Cut back to a good bud or small side branch that will grow back where
you want it. Maybe that will stimulate new branches about where you need
them, eliminating the need to do the grafts. You may have to compromise
and take any new growth that is at all close to where you want it. For
example, you might get growth near the base of one of the other
branches. If you can train it to grow into the space where there is a
missing branch, call it good enough.

Steve

grafting a nectarine james Australia 3 22-11-2005 01:56 PM
grafting a nectarine (espalier) james Gardening 2 04-11-2005 06:32 AM
grafting a nectarine (espalier) james United Kingdom 2 03-11-2005 12:14 PM
Blisters on Peach and Nectarine trees Mark Allison United Kingdom 5 06-06-2003 09:44 PM
Nectarine Tree: Leaf Predator The Ranger Edible Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:32 PM