Old 05-06-2003, 09:19 AM
Mark Allison

Default Blisters on Peach and Nectarine trees

Hi,

I planted a peach 'Peregrine' and a nectarine 'Lord Napier' tree in Spring
2002. All through 2002 I didn't get a single leaf. This year, the trees are
covered in leaves and seem to be growing well.

However in the last couple of weeks I have noticed bright red "blisters"
appearing on the leaves of the trees. All the blossom was killed in our
late severe frosts.

Does anyone know what caused the red blisters? Will the trees live?

--
Mark Allison, SQL Server MVP
http://www.allisonmitchell.com

Old 05-06-2003, 09:20 AM
Michael Berridge

Mark Allison wrote in message ...
Hi,

I planted a peach 'Peregrine' and a nectarine 'Lord Napier' tree in

Spring
2002. All through 2002 I didn't get a single leaf. This year, the trees

are
covered in leaves and seem to be growing well.

However in the last couple of weeks I have noticed bright red

"blisters"
appearing on the leaves of the trees. All the blossom was killed in our
late severe frosts.

Does anyone know what caused the red blisters? Will the trees live?

--

It's Peach Leaf Curl, a fungal disease. It is spread by spores that live
in the soil during winter and are 'splashed' onto the leaves in rain. It

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 05-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Mark Allison

On 04 Jun 2003, "Michael Berridge" wrote
the following pearl of wisdom:

It's Peach Leaf Curl, a fungal disease. It is spread by spores that live
in the soil during winter and are 'splashed' onto the leaves in rain. It
will not do a lot of harm, the leaves usually drop off and can then be
collected and burnt, or you could pick them off. Protecting the tree in
Spring with a fleece cover is supposed to help. I have noticed that mine
has much less of the disease this year, but have no idea why. It won't
stop it fruiting, and later leaves are always OK.

Thanks Mike - shall I remove the leaves with red bits on now then? There
seems to be quite a lot (perhaps 20%) of the leaves that have gone red.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:08 PM
David

"Michael Berridge" wrote in message ...
[...]

I've read that it is best treated as it can weaken or kill the tree
Old 05-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Paul Kelly

"David" wrote in message
om...

Protecting the tree in
Spring with a fleece cover is supposed to help.

Not quite right.... protecting from the rain in winter/early spring to
prevent spores being washed into the buds is the method you are thinking
about. Only really practicable on an ultra dwarf of fan trained specimens

From the RHS; (A good general tip BTW is a google search for [disease name
or problem, RHS advice] that will normally bring the RHS relevant advise to
the top of the search results.... as shown by the following)

Symptoms
In early spring young leaves are swollen and distorted, and appear to have
large blisters coloured whitish green, red or pink. As they mature the
leaves become covered in a white, powdery bloom. The leaves often fall in
large numbers leaving the tree virtually bare, although a second flush of
healthy foliage will appear. Occasionally, fruits may be covered in
blistered patches.

Plants affected
Peaches, nectarines, almonds and apricots.

Cause
Peach leaf curl is a fungal disease, which, if left untreated, puts trees
under severe stress due to the excessive leaf loss. The white bloom is the
mass of fungal spores, but these do not infect the new leaves produced later
in the year.

Non-chemical control

Collect and dispose of infected leaves before the bloom of spores appears is
useful because it limits the number of spores overwintering on the plant.
Erect a polythene or glass structure to cover the top and front of the tree
between January and mid-May. Trees so sheltered from rain and dew show only
very mild symptoms in comparison with unprotected trees. Ensure the sides
are left open so that pollinating insects can enter. You should also carry
out hand pollination.
If a tree suffers leaf loss, boost its vigour with an application of
fertilizer and make sure it is kept well watered and mulched.
Chemical control

pk

Old 06-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Michael Berridge

Mark Allison wrote in message ...

Thanks Mike - shall I remove the leaves with red bits on now then?

There
seems to be quite a lot (perhaps 20%) of the leaves that have gone red.

--

I just pick off those I can see everytime I go past the tree, new leaves
will develop and be fee from disease.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk