Old 03-11-2005, 04:42 AM
james

Default grafting a nectarine (espalier)

Hi,

I have an espaliered nectarine.
It is a simple shape consisting of a single vertical trunk and a series
of horisonlat branches.

Last year I lost a couple of the branches due to a hail storm.

I was hoping that this spring I would see new shoots come from the base
of the original (damaged) branches.
This has not been the case and would like to either graft some new
growth to the trunk with the aim to replace the branch, or if there is
some other way to stimulate new shoots I would be happy to do that.

Can anyone help me.

thanks

james
melbourne AUS

Old 03-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Mike

I have no experience with grafting much less nectarine grafting. But there
was a discussion here recently including regularly damp soil (not wet) as
well as some enzyme supposedly available from gardening depots.

Oh, and some luck.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 AM
sherwindu

If the tree is still alive, the root structure of the tree should put out new branches
to match that structure. Usual grafting requires that you match the diameters
of the two pieces to be joined. There are some grafts where you can use
missmatched diameters by lining up a smaller branch with the edge of a
bigger branch. I assume you still have a few branches left on this tree,
so cutting off the tree near the base would be counter productive. There
is no good way I know of to graft a small branch to the outer edge of a
much larger trunk. You may find some grafting method to do this, if you
pursue the subject. There is a technique called 'bud grafting' where you
cut a slit in the branch and insert a piece of scion containing a bud, but
that is meant to be used on smaller branches where the cambium can line
up easier.

Sherwin D.

james wrote:

Hi,

I have an espaliered nectarine.
It is a simple shape consisting of a single vertical trunk and a series
of horisonlat branches.

Last year I lost a couple of the branches due to a hail storm.

I was hoping that this spring I would see new shoots come from the base
of the original (damaged) branches.
This has not been the case and would like to either graft some new
growth to the trunk with the aim to replace the branch, or if there is
some other way to stimulate new shoots I would be happy to do that.

Can anyone help me.

thanks

james
melbourne AUS

[IMG] code is On

grafting a nectarine james Australia 3 22-11-2005 01:56 PM
grafting a nectarine (espalier) james Edible Gardening 1 04-11-2005 01:45 AM
grafting a nectarine (espalier) james United Kingdom 2 03-11-2005 12:14 PM
Blisters on Peach and Nectarine trees Mark Allison United Kingdom 5 06-06-2003 09:44 PM
Nectarine Tree: Leaf Predator The Ranger Edible Gardening 1 30-03-2003 01:32 PM