Old 04-11-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Getting broccili seeds

How can you save broccili seeds? I have one plant that I already got
the big head and let one of the siders go to flower. How can I get
the seeds. I know there in that flower somewhere. Thanks Joe Mc

Old 07-11-2005, 01:59 AM

In article . com,
wrote:

How can you save broccili seeds?

If it's a hybrid, don't bother.

--
http://yosemitecampsites.com/
Old 07-11-2005, 06:37 PM
LJ

Even hybrid seeds should make really good broccoli sprouts, don't
you think?

Anyone have any experience with this? I had this "light bulb
moment" this year and I'm trying it with the broccoli and
cauliflowers that got away from me this year. Thought, oh, well,
I'll just save the seeds. LOL

If anyone knows any reason why this won't work, please save me
some time. My problem is trying to find the space to dry them
this time of the year in BC.
LJ

Old 08-11-2005, 05:17 AM
Steve

LJ wrote:

Even hybrid seeds should make really good broccoli sprouts, don't
you think?

Anyone have any experience with this? I had this "light bulb
moment" this year and I'm trying it with the broccoli and
cauliflowers that got away from me this year. Thought, oh, well,
I'll just save the seeds. LOL

If anyone knows any reason why this won't work, please save me
some time. My problem is trying to find the space to dry them
this time of the year in BC.
LJ

There's nothing wrong with doing it just for fun. Even hybrid plants
will give seeds that will grow into something edible. They just won't be
as consistent as the original seed. You wouldn't want to do it if you
were trying to make a living by growing produce but as a home gardener
it can be fun to see how it turns out.

Steve

Old 11-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Trevor Woods

Steve wrote in message
LJ wrote:

Even hybrid seeds should make really good broccoli sprouts, don't
you think?

Anyone have any experience with this? I had this "light bulb
moment" this year and I'm trying it with the broccoli and
cauliflowers that got away from me this year. Thought, oh, well,
I'll just save the seeds. LOL

If anyone knows any reason why this won't work, please save me
some time. My problem is trying to find the space to dry them
this time of the year in BC.
LJ

There's nothing wrong with doing it just for fun. Even hybrid plants
will give seeds that will grow into something edible. They just won't be
as consistent as the original seed. You wouldn't want to do it if you
were trying to make a living by growing produce but as a home gardener
it can be fun to see how it turns out.

I currently experimenting with trying to grow broccoli from cuttings taken
from a mature plant. I'm mostly doing it just for fun to see if it works.
The plant I took the cuttings from gave me a really good head of broccoli,
and plently of additional sprouts. Some of the cuttings have formed roots.
Whether they will grow into a proper plant I'm yet to find out.

Regards