Old 02-12-2005, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
danny

Default ripening avocados

how do i ripen these things? I think they're the fuerte variety
(green smooth skin) and they look ready to pick but they just don't
ripen. I read online its best to ripen in a paper bag with an apple or
banana and thats what I did... they've been in there for almost 3
weeks now, one seemed softer than the others so i cut it and the meat
was like rubber.

I don't want to leave them on the tree any longer because some damn
squirrels are stealing them. I've actually seen the critters roll them
on the ground into my neighbors yard.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

danny wrote:
how do i ripen these things? I think they're the fuerte variety
(green smooth skin) and they look ready to pick but they just don't
ripen. I read online its best to ripen in a paper bag with an apple or
banana and thats what I did... they've been in there for almost 3
weeks now, one seemed softer than the others so i cut it and the meat
was like rubber.

I don't want to leave them on the tree any longer because some damn
squirrels are stealing them. I've actually seen the critters roll them
on the ground into my neighbors yard.

Here is a UC Davis piece on when to pick avocados. Essentially, it
says to pick one when you think they're mature and let it finish
softening at room temperature. If it does so satisfactorily in a few
days, they're ready but if it doesn't, they're not. So, I'd say yours
aren't ready to pick yet.

It also says that when the avocados are mature, the best place to
"store" them is on the tree, where they will be fine for quite a long
time. This leaves you with the squirrel problem, I guess, but maybe
they won't decimate your eventual harvest. -aem

http://ceventura.ucdavis.edu/ben/avo...sting/pick.htm

Old 02-12-2005, 10:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com,
"aem" wrote:

danny wrote:
[...]

Bird netting...

And a good BB gun.

Academy sports has some awesome BB guns,
and squirrel is VERY tasty quartered and fried in olive oil and butter
with just a little lemon pepper.

Wet them before you skin them to keep hair from shedding on the
meat......
--
Om.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage

danny writes:
how do i ripen these things? I think they're the fuerte variety
(green smooth skin) and they look ready to pick but they just don't
ripen. I read online its best to ripen in a paper bag with an apple or
banana and thats what I did... they've been in there for almost 3
weeks now, one seemed softer than the others so i cut it and the meat
was like rubber.

You're probably in the northern hemisphere, so your weather would now
be cool and getting colder. Did you store the paper bag + avo + banana
in a warm place? If so, then I'd say you have done about all you can.
I think it needs to be a *ripening* banana, not a grass green one that
stays green. If the avocado hasn't ripened in three weeks in the paper
bag then it probably isn't going to.

As you have a treeful of the fruit, you are able to experiment. I have
heard that you can microwave a firm avo to soften it. I don't know the
duration, so perhaps you can experiment. Be conservative. The flavour
might not be up to that of naturally ripened fruit, even if it does
soften. I'd try for paper bag ripening for a week or so and then finish
off with a short nuke. Your rubbery fleshed avo might have responded
well to a short spell in the microwave since it was close to ripening.

Something nibbles at the avos on trees here, in Oz. We don't have
squirrels, and I've always assumed it to be rats as they climb nearly
anything and the bite marks are small nibbles. But it might be our native
possums.

Avocados from seeds? Any tips? Dwayne Edible Gardening 57 27-04-2004 03:03 PM
Avocados from seeds? Any tips? Dwayne Edible Gardening 0 10-02-2004 03:41 AM
Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin. Peter Nolan United Kingdom 15 21-12-2003 11:32 AM
Avocados rapdor Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocados in black soil (clay) SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM