Old 10-02-2004, 03:42 AM
Dwayne

Default Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

Steve, Not every seed will sprout. I usually only get about half of them to
do anyhing. Try the three toothpicks again on about 4 of them in bottles.
Change water every week or so if it is starting to get dirty or smelly.

My uncle used to live in LA and we found people with trees that did OK near
where he lived. I dont know where you are from there, but use that as a
guide.

Dwayne

"Shystev99" wrote in message
My mother would stick toothpicks in them so that they would
rest on top of a glass of water with just the bottom of the seed wet.

Thanks,
I tried that once before about 4 - 5 years ago and the seed split in half,

did have it submerged about 3/4 of the way up the seed though, with the

pointed
end up. Maybe I just had to much water in the glass and instead of

sprouting
the seed just drowned and deteriorated?
Steve

Old 10-02-2004, 02:22 PM
TCS

On 09 Feb 2004 22:12:12 GMT, Shystev99 wrote:
Hi all,
I am going to try to plant an avocado from a seed. I have searched websites and
found 2 main ways of doing it, First let the seed sit in water pointed end up
till it sprouts.(I've tried this method once before and all that happened was
the seed split in half after about 2 weeks or so.)

I had 4 years of horticultre back in highschool but that was years ago and we
never really started things from seed.

step 1: learn how to use a web search tool like google.
go to http://www.google.com
enter search string like "grow advocados"

Old 10-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Henriette Kress

Shystev99 wrote:

I am going to try to plant an avocado from a seed.

Once you've gotten it to grow: snip every 20 cm or so. That way it'll
divide. If you don't snip you'll end up with a 2 m broomstick with a
couple leaves at the top.

Hetta, BTDT.

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed

Old 10-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Shystev99

step 1: learn how to use a web search tool like google.
go to http://www.google.com
enter search string like "grow advocados"

Not to sound to rude here but I did that and IF you had read the first sentence
or 2 in my first post you would have seen that was the first thing I said. Here
I'll quote MY original post just as YOU posted it back to me.
On 09 Feb 2004 22:12:12 GMT, Shystev99 wrote:
Hi all,
I am going to try to plant an avocado from a seed. I have searched websites

and
found 2 main ways of doing it, First let the seed sit in water pointed end up
till it sprouts.(I've tried this method once before and all that happened was
the seed split in half after about 2 weeks or so.)

I had 4 years of horticultre back in highschool but that was years ago and we
never really started things from seed.

What does the second sentence in that quote say? Does it not say I have
searched websites and found 2 main ways of doing it? I then went on to describe
the 2 ways I found ON GOOGLE in my searches.
The reason I came to the board to ask is because I wanted to find someone with
advice or tips who have actually tried either method, Is one method more
successful than the other? Are there any things the people learned from each
method they could suggest to me? You don't get this through a google search,
You get this through asking people who have done it themseves.
Now the people who have responded have been very polite and helpful but as YOU
have proven the board has it's share of rude smart mouth jackasses as well.
Steve

Old 10-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Katra

In article ,
TCS wrote:

On 09 Feb 2004 22:12:12 GMT, Shystev99 wrote:
Hi all,
I am going to try to plant an avocado from a seed. I have searched websites
and
found 2 main ways of doing it, First let the seed sit in water pointed end
up
till it sprouts.(I've tried this method once before and all that happened
was
the seed split in half after about 2 weeks or so.)

I had 4 years of horticultre back in highschool but that was years ago and
we
never really started things from seed.

step 1: learn how to use a web search tool like google.
go to http://www.google.com
enter search string like "grow advocados"

While I agree somewhat, and have finally learnt to google most of the
time, what good are these discussion lists if we can't discuss questions
like this?

Sometimes websearching can be frustrating, and it's nice to talk
directly to other folks that have had first hand experience!

The pineapple thread is a perfect example. It's motivated me to give
planting those seeds a shot! We do find them from time to time when
skinning store bought pineapples. :-)

I've never had much luck personally growing an avocado from seed. I had
one once that got to be about 3 ft. high, then died.

I finally sprang for some grafted ones on ebay. They were reasonable.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Old 10-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Shystev99

While I agree somewhat, and have finally learnt to google most of the
time, what good are these discussion lists if we can't discuss questions
like this?

I agree, Isn't the purpose of newsgroups like this is to have a forum people
with certain interests can go to share information, talk to other people, share
successes, share failures, share ideas for how to avoid problems, and most
importantly have a place where we can learn and teach?
I apologize to the entire board for snapping at the poster who told me to learn
how to use google. I don't honestly know if the person meant it as a personal
shot or attack but the way it was worded

step 1: learn how to use a web search tool like google.
go to http://www.google.com
enter search string like "grow advocados"

To me looked more as a remark that was meant to imply I was either lazy or
stupid. If I was I would have never listed or explained the 2 ways of planting
a seed the way I did, Had I been to lazy or to stupid to use google I would
have simply came to the board and in a 1 sentence question I would have asked

I have an Avocado seed, How do I get it to grow?

I didn't do that, I researched, Shared what I had found in that research and
then asked people who may have had hands on experience if there were any
successes or failures with either method I found through that research.
If I was wrong to ask a question then I truly apologize to everyone. But my
view has always been when you stop asking questions you stop learning.

I apologize to the group for snapping back at the poster, But I don't
appreciate being talked down to. If I feel someone is taking a shot at me, I'm
gonna shoot back.
Steve

Old 10-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Shystev99

[...]

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Avocados from seeds? Any tips? Dwayne Edible Gardening 0 10-02-2004 03:41 AM
Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin. Peter Nolan United Kingdom 15 21-12-2003 11:32 AM
Avocados rapdor Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocados in black soil (clay) SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM