Old 22-12-2005, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
birdieb

Default tomato advice true?

I found this on a site searching for advice on my plants. is it true?
Des tomates saines et sans pucerons...
Contre les maladies et les pucerons, je plante des pieds d'oeillets
dinde entre chaque pied de tomates, c'est éfficace, écologique en
plus ... c'est joli ;-)

And this? Engrais fruité
Pour un engrais écologique et pas cher pour vos rosiers il suffit
d'enterrer une peau de banane à leur pieds. Celle ci contenant du
potassium et autre vitamines les nourriront aussi bien qu'un engrais
chimique!

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Old 22-12-2005, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill B

birdieb wrote:
I found this on a site searching for advice on my plants. is it true?
Des tomates saines et sans pucerons...
Contre les maladies et les pucerons, je plante des pieds d'oeillets
dinde entre chaque pied de tomates, c'est éfficace, écologique en
plus ... c'est joli ;-)

And this? Engrais fruité
Pour un engrais écologique et pas cher pour vos rosiers il suffit
d'enterrer une peau de banane à leur pieds. Celle ci contenant du
potassium et autre vitamines les nourriront aussi bien qu'un engrais
chimique!

Thank you in advance for your answers.

These are old time practices that I've seen written about for years.
I've tried them before but whether or not they really made a difference
is questionable so I just use the modern way of fertilizer and
insecticides-----I know they work.
Old 23-12-2005, 10:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

birdieb said:

I found this on a site searching for advice on my plants. is it true?
Des tomates saines et sans pucerons...
Contre les maladies et les pucerons, je plante des pieds d'oeillets
dinde entre chaque pied de tomates, c'est =E9fficace, =E9cologique en
plus ... c'est joli ;-)

I'm sorry, the translation software made this out to be the feet of some sort
of poultry. I've never heard of that.

For tomatoes, I I recommend alfalfa (as is used in animal feed) and kelp
(the seaweed). Bone meal or phosphate rock might also be needed.

J'emploie "Babel Fish"--
"Pour des tomates, je recommande la luzerne (comme est employé chez
l'alimentation des animaux) et varech (l'algue). Le phosphate naturel de
repas ou d'os pourrait également être nécessaire."

And this? Engrais fruit=E9
Pour un engrais =E9cologique et pas cher pour vos rosiers il suffit
d'enterrer une peau de banane =E0 leur pieds. Celle ci contenant du
potassium et autre vitamines les nourriront aussi bien qu'un engrais
chimique!=20

Banana peels? Yes.

Alfalfa is also good for the roses.

"La luzerne est bonne pour les rosiers, aussi."

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 23-12-2005, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kathy

What is planted between the tomatoes? Babelfish translates it as
"eyelets turkey." Would it happen to be another common name for
marigolds?

Old 23-12-2005, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bird Oasis

I was trying to figure out where you would actually get Turkey eyelets,
and even what they were? hehe

John Patrick
www.birdoasis.com

Old 23-12-2005, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gary Woods

"Bird Oasis" wrote:

I was trying to figure out where you would actually get Turkey eyelets,

Well, the turkeys going to be really ticked when their boots keep falling
off in the snow!

Old 23-12-2005, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill B

Kathy wrote:
What is planted between the tomatoes? Babelfish translates it as
"eyelets turkey." Would it happen to be another common name for
marigolds?

They are "French Marigolds".
Old 26-12-2005, 07:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GH

I am sorry to have posted in French. Here is what Google comes up with
on an image search for oeillets d'inde
http://images.google.com/images?q=oeillets+dinde&hl=en
my French is not so good for flowers and I was hoping someone would
identify it.

Old 26-12-2005, 12:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

GH said:

I am sorry to have posted in French. Here is what Google comes up with
on an image search for oeillets d'inde
http://images.google.com/images?q=oeillets+dinde&hl=en
my French is not so good for flowers and I was hoping someone would
identify it.

Most of the pictures seem to be /Tagetes patula/ which has the English
common name 'French Marigold. ' This flower is native to Mexico and
Guatamala, despite what the English and French names suggest.

/Tagetes/ are supposed to repel nematode worms but this is most
effectively done by planting them in masses and tilling them in the
year before the tomatoes are planted.

North Carolina Department of Agricultu

"The roots of these attractive flowering plants contain chemicals that
kill nematodes. As a method of biocontrol, growing marigolds is not
only pleasing to the eye but economically and environmentally sound
as well. One drawback, however, is that the benefits are not realized
until the following year. Also, the treatment frequently needs to be
repeated with marigolds and vegetables grown in alternate years."
http://www.ncagr.com/agronomi/nnote1.htm

Applying a mulch around the tomato plants will help prevent weeds and
disease.

Tomato plants are more likely to attract aphids if they are given too much
nitrogen fertilizer.

Kelp spray will help prevent diseases of the tomato leaves.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 27-12-2005, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
GH

Thank you everyone for your help! I wish you all a Happy New Year.