Old 12-04-2006, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Tomato Leaf Discoloration

On 11 Apr 2006 20:15:43 -0700, "Suzanne" wrote:

This is my first time growing tomato seedlings. They are 3 weeks old
and growing large. All was going well until today I noticed some of
the older leaves on the Brandywine plants are begining to discolor. It
almost looks like the green is rubbing off in a large blotch in the
center of the leaf. The color is paler that the rest of the leaves. I
haven't been able to find any photos of diseases that look similar.

It is strange that I found this on 3 Brandywine plants that are located
far from each other with plenty of healthy-looking plants in between.

Were they on the outside of the flat?

Is it possible that this discoloration is sunburn from water dripping
on the leaves (I have heard that it is bad to get water on the leaves)?

I think it's just plain sunburn. If it was a windy day, the leaves
could have been battered some, too. Pat's advice is spot on, and
pretty much what I do, too. Filtered sunlight for a few days, then
slowly moving the plants out to where they get a little bit more
sunlight each day.

If you don't have a handy tree, try making a low tent out of a light
colored sheet. Just be sure that the plants are positioned so that as
the sun moves across the sky, they don't get any direct sunlight.
After a few days of this bright indirect sunlight, you can move the
plants to where they get a little bit of morning sun, but are
protected by nine or ten o'clock, depending on your location. Then
each day let them get a little bit more sun.

Good luck!

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"
Old 13-04-2006, 11:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

The blotches that you found on your tomato were porabably sun burn, you
said that they were under shop lights, that plants that are grown
inside are not yet used to real direct sun light, once you put them
under the sun it will effect them with a sunburn, this should go away
in couple of days, as the plants get used to the real sun.

Good luck